47280426. John Mautravers
Thursday, April 5, 2012
G26: 47280426 Mautravers
47280426. John Mautravers
~1215, John born in England, s/o §John Mautravers & Hawisia ?.
10/28/1216, Henry III, age 9, crowned king of England.
Aft. 2/4/1220, John’s father died.
1222, John’s mother Hawisia sued William Mautravers [John’s uncle] for a third of her dower.
12/26/1240, Dorset. John Maltravers gives 20s. for having four justices. (S) FRsHIII.
6/2/1241, Dorset. John Maltravers gives 1 m. to the king because he withdrew himself. (S) FRsHIII.
1242-43, John held the family estates.
1242, John summoned to attend the king with horse and arms, going into France.
5/20/1242, King Henry III arrived at Royen, France with a small contingent; but with 30 tons of gold. They were soon joined by French nobles against the forces of the Count of Poitou and King Louis IX.
7/1242, The 2 armies met at the battles of Taillebourgh and Saintes, with the superior sized French force winning.
9/27/1242, King Henry returned his forces to England arriving at Portsmouth.
1248, IPM of Elias Giffard: Winterburne manor (extent given) held of the king in chief as the head of his barony. Sernton manor (extent given), held of the king as pertaining to the said barony. Ayston manor (extent given) held of John Mautravers in free marriage. (S) CIsPM. [John’s sister Alice married Elias.]
Aft. 1250, John Mautravers held a knight’s fee and one tenth of Walter de Dunstanville in Sumreford. (S) Wiltshire Arch. And Nat. Hist. Mag., V31, P287.
5/1/1256, Protection with clause … for one year … who have gone in service of Edward the king’s son to Ireland … Alan la Zuche … John Mautravers … (S) CPRs.
7/23/1256, Respite from knighthood … John Mautravers until 1259. (S) CPRs.
5/30/1257, Protection with clause … gone to Ireland in the service of Edward the king’s son, … John Mautravers. (S) CPRs.
5/30/1257, Protection with clause … gone to Ireland in the service of Edward the king’s son … John Mautravers. (S) CPRs.
By 1269, John died.
(S) A History of the County of Wiltshire, V14, 1991. (S) Proceedings, Somerset, 1898, V44.
· Aft. 1193, Walter, son of John & Alice [d/o Roger fitz Geoffrey], died leaving the estate to his brother John Mautravers.
· 6/30/1199, At the instance of Walter de Tuberville, John, on his deathbed, gave the house and its land to his wife Alice. (S) Rancor and Reconcilation in Medieval England, Hyams, 2003, P294.
· 1200, John Mautravers, husband of Alice, died.
· 1201, John Maltravers, s/o John Maltravers, vs. Walter de Tuberville and Alice his wife [widow of John the father], respecting lands at Woolcombe. [John claimed Walter was holding his family charters.]
· 1213-14, John Maltravers in a suit with Gilbert de Say over the chapel of Kingston.
· 1215, Lands escheated in the civil war … to Walo de Cotes, land of John Mautravers in Woodchester. (S) The Household Knights of King John, Church, 1999, P91.
· 1218, John Maltravers returned to the king’s obediance.
· 2/25/1219, These are the clerks and knights … tenement of Gyvele … between Walerand parson of Gyvele and John Mautravers, knight. (S) Proceedings, Vs30-32, Somerset, 1885, P16.
· 2/4/1220, John Maltravers gives the king 40s. for having the record of the plea in the county court of Somerset between William Maltravers, claimant, and John, defendant, concerning a knight’s fee with appurtenances in Gyule. (S) FRsHIII.
Child of John and ?:
i. John Mautravers (23642032), born ~1240