67547142. Sir William Malet
Friday, June 1, 2012
G27: 67547142. Malet
67547142. Sir William Malet
~1175, William born in England, heir & s/o 135094284. Gilbert Malet & 135094285. Alice Picot.
11/3/1189, Richard I crowned king of England.
1195, William in Normandy with King Richard I.
1195, By the Treaty of Louviers, King Richard gave up Vexin, but regained other contested territories in Berri.
1196, King Richard built the Chateau Gaillard castle on the Seine river.
1196, William paid a fine of £100 for livery of his inheritance.
5/27/1199, John crowned king of England.
1200, William Malet of Enemore, tenent, was sued by his cousin William Malet of Curri on a writ of mort d’ancestor for 2.5 hides in Sutton Mallet, Somerset.
1203, William’s suit with his cousin William settled for money and a palfrey. (S) Publications of Somerset, V6, 1892, P20.
1204, William paid the King 100s for right to sue for the lordship of Swinton.
4/1208, At Westminster. William Malet, querent. Warine son of Gerold and Alice his wife, and William de Eston, 3 knights fees in Chilton and in Stocland and in Clahulle … fees to be the right of William de Eston, as held of Warine and Alice, … (S) Somerset Record Society, V6, 1892, P25.
12/1209, William appointed sheriff of Somerset. (S) Somersetshire Pleas, V11, 1897, P82.
6/6/1210, King John launched successful attacks in Ireland with 700 ships. William’s retinue had 5 knights [of his 21 fees held.] (S) Studies in Taxation, Mitchell, 1914, P97.
1211, William appointed sheriff of Somerset and Dorset.
7/3/1212, William Malet sheriff of Somerset and Dorset, delivered at the Exchequer. (S) Liber Feodorum, 1920, P56.
William married 2nd Alice Bassett, coheir & d/o Baron Thomas Basset of Colyton and Whitford, Devon. [No children.]
2/9/1214, King John sailed for Poitou. William served in Poitou with 10 knights and 20 man-at-arms. King John unsuccessfully invaded France trying to recover his lands.
7/2/1214, 800 knights with Prince Louis of France, victorious at the battle of La Roche-aux-Moines against the forces of King John of England.
1214, King Philip and King John agreed to a 6-year truce at Chinon.
10/1214, King John returned to England.
4/1215 at Stamford, William joined the confederacy of barons against King John.
6/15/1215 at Runnymead, William one of the signers of the Magna Carta.
11/20/1215 at Bury St. Edmunds, William elected as one of the 25 to guarantee observance of the Magna Carta. (S) History, Gazeteer and Dir. of Suffolk, 1874, P565.
7/7/1215, Maurice fitz Thomas fitz Maurice, a hostage, in the custody of William Malet, to be committed to Geoffrey de Marisco and taken to Ireland. (S) English Historical Review, 1914, P309.
12/16/1215, William and other barons excommunicated by the Pope; and William fined 2000 marks. (S) Magna Carta, Wurts, 1942.
1216, William Malet son of Gilbert, the donor, being found in arms against the king, all his lands were seized, and Compton granted to Hugh de Vivonne. [“Know all men that I, William Malet son of Gilbert Malet, have give … the convent of Athelingenye eight acres of land in Cumptun …”.] (S) Two Cartularies of the Benedictine Abbeys of Muchelney and Athelney, 1899, P144.
10/28/1216, Henry III, age 9, crowned king of England.
Bef. 1219, William died; holding the manor of “Dundon super Polden” previously held by his ancestor Robert Malet.
[Alice later married John Bisset. At her death her heirs were her 3 daughters by John.]
(S) Magna Carta Ancestry, P549. (S) DNB, Lee, 1909, P865.
· A “William Malet”, lord of Graville, Normandy, and of Lilley in Herts and Coleby in Lincolnshire, is distinct from the Malet family of Somerset. This William was also in revolt against King John.
Children of William and ?:
i. Mabel Malet (33773571), born ? in England.
ii. Hawise Malet (10000961), born ~1205 in England.
iii. Bertha Malet, born ? in England.
Bef. 4/11/1221, Bertha died leaving no heirs.
- ► 2013 (212)
- G27: 79959842. FitzUrse-Boulers
- G27: 79959638. Newmarch-Griffin
- G27: 79959636. Gloucester
- G27: 79959632 FitzHerbert-Corbet
- G27: 79959620. Galfrid FitzPayn
- G27: 79959492. Beaumont-FitzRoy
- G27: 79959356 Salisbury-Talvas-Warenne
- G27: 79959330. FitzHarding
- G27: 79959328. FitzOtes
- G27: 79959090. Beauchamp-d'Abitot
- G27: 79959088. Marmion & Camville
- G27: 79959034. Beaumont-Montfort
- G27: 79959022 Brittany-Huntingdon-Bohun
- G27: 79958974. Sable
- G27: 79958922. Madog ap Maredudd
- 79958920. Owain Gwynedd ap Gruffydd
- G27: 79958560. Veteri Ponte
- G27: 79958472. Stuteville
- G27: 79958530. Tony-Northumberland
- G27: 79958528 FitzPons-Gloucester
- G27: 79958466. Humet
- G27: 79958182. Glanville
- G27: 79958176. Valognes
- G27: 79958120. FitzRichard-Mandeville
- G27: 79958114. FitzRobert-Beaumont
- G27: 79958112 Clare-Hillary-D'Aubigny
- G27: 79958030. Huntingdon-Blundeville
- G27: 79958028 Galloway-Moreville
- G27: 79958026. Beaumont-Grandmesnil
- G27: 79958024 Quincy-Mar
- G27: 79958022 Montfort-Beaumont
- G27: 79958020 Meschines-FitzRobert
- G27: 79958018. Breuse
- G27: 79958016. Ferrers-Peverel
- G27: 79849866. Gloucester
- G27: 79849850. Cornhill-Curci
- G27: 79849664. Lovel
- G27: 79849538. Dunstanville-Cornwall-FitzRichard
- G27: 79638586. Tony
- G27: 79638584. le Bigod
- G27: NR:67547554. Bourdon
- G27: 67547552. Vere-Basset
- G27: 67547150. Limesi
- G27: 67547142. Malet
- ▼ June (44)
- ► 2011 (538)
- ► 2010 (1664)