Saturday, December 8, 2012
G28: 159916056 Uchtred-Gunhilda
~1133, Uchtred born in Scotland, 2nd s/o 319832112. Prince Fergus of Galloway & 319832113. Princess Elizabeth. [Fergus called by Benedict Abbas a cousin of King Henry II.]
12/22/1135, Stephen crowned king of England.
7/7/1136, Uchtred [still a minor] and his father Fergus witnessed a charter by King David I granting land to the church of Glasgow.
1139, Uchtred’s older brother Cospatric died. (S) American Historical Mag., V4, 1909, P85.
4/9/1139, As part of a peace agreement between King David of Scotland and King Stephen of England, Uchtred, son of Fergus, was given as a hostage.
~1142, After his father was deposed, Uchtred was sent as a hostage to the court of King Máel Coluim IV of Scotland.
5/1153, Malcom succeeded his grandfather King David I as King of Scotland.
12/19/1154, Henry II crowned king of England.
1160, King Mael Coluim led 3 campaigns against Fergus, father of Uchtred.
1161, On the death of his father, Uchtred became Lord of Galloway, ruling jointly with his half-brother Gille Brigte.
5/12/1161-1164, Uhtred son of Fergus, … he and his heir [Roland] have granted and given to St Leonard and to St Peter’s Hospital, York, …, for the souls of David, king of Scots, and his father Fergus, and his mother, and his ancestors, with all its liberties and customs. (S) POMS.
5/12/1161-8/1173, Uhtred son of Fergus, to all his men and friends, French, English and Galwegian, making known that he has given, granted, …, with the consent of his son and heir Roland, to Richard son of Truite the whole land of ‘Lochenelo’ …, for the service of one knight. (S) POMS.
3/20/1164, Ailred, the abbot of Rievaux, visited Uchtred on a great gala day. (S) Hereditary Sheriffs of Galloway, Agnew, 1893, P68.
~1164, Uchtred, son of Fergus, found the convent of Kirkcudbrightshire of Benedictine nuns. (S) Arch. And Historical Collections Relating to Ayrshire, V10, 1899, P99.
12/24/1165, William “the Lion”, age 22, crowned King of Scotland.
1165-1174, Uchtred and his son Roland witnessed the restoration of the lands of Robert de Brus by King William. (S) POMS.
~1166, Charter by Uchtred, Son of Fergus, Lord of Gallow: grant to the church of Holy Cross … (S) Arch. And Historical Collections Relating to Ayrshire, V4, 1884, P55.
1170, Charter by Uchtred, lord of Galloway, Ecclesai Sanctae Bridgide de Blacket. (S) Studies in the Topography of Galloway, Maclellan, 1887, P212.
1174, Uchtred and his brother joined King William I on his [unsuccessful] invasion of Northampton. King William was captured, and the 2 brothers attempted to take the crown, taking the opportunity to slaughter the Norman and Saxon settlers in their land.
9/22/1174 at his home in Loch Fergus, Uchtred died; brutally mutilated, blinded, castrated, and killed by arrangement of his brother Gille Brigte who seized control of all of Galloway. [Uchtred’s son Roland would eventually extract revenge against Gille’s heirs.]
· Gunhilda of Dunbar a descendent of the great Earl Gospatrick. (S) Journal of Jurisprudence, V28, Barclay, 1884, P518.
· In charters where Uchtred and Gille Brigte appear together, Uchtred appears first. (S) Scots Peerage, Paul, 1907, P137.
Children of Uchtred and Gunhilda:
Eve married Walter de Berkeley.
- ► 2013 (212)
- G28: 189110408 Hainaut-Namur
- G28: 189110312 Alfonso-Barenguela-Richeza
- G28: 189110276 Duke Guillaume IX
- G28: 189110274 King Henry-Matilda-Isabel
- G28: 189110272 Anjou-Maine
- G28: 188998248 Lusignan
- G28: 162553856 Malet-Neville
- G28: 160015568 Gournay-Flaitel
- G28: 159918656 Otes
- G28: 159917840 Cynan-Owain
- G28: 159917060 Tony-Montfort
- G28: 159916932 Hommet-Beaumont
- G28: 159916240 FitzEustace-Lisours-FitzGodric
- G28: 159916224 Clare-Gernon
- G28: Henry of Scotland-Warenne
- G28: 159916036 Breuse-Totenies
- G28: 159916058 Morville-Lancaster
- G28: 159916056 Uchtred-Gunhilda
- G28: 159916042 Caen-FitzRobert
- G28: 159916040 Meschines-Taillebois
- G28: 159916034 Peverel-Lancaster
- G28: 159916032 Ferrers-Vitre
- G28: 159699734 Redvers-Baluum
- ▼ December (23)
- ► 2011 (538)
- ► 2010 (1664)