Tuesday, February 19, 2013
G28: 243382536 Multon
~1240, Thomas born in England, heir & s/o 47281290. Thomas de Multon & 47281291. Maud de Vaux.
1270, Thomas succeeded his father and did homage for his lands.
Bef. 10/1/1272, Helewise de Levynton, widow of Eustace de Baliol, died leaving Thomas, of full age, as heir to a moiety of the barony of Burgh-upon-Sands. [Thomas already held the other moiety by inheritance.] (S) CIsPM. [Helewisa d/o Radulph Boyvill of Levington & Ada Gernun. (S) Register of the Priory of Wetherhal, 1897, P247.]
11/16/1272, King Edward I ascended to the throne while on crusade.
1/15/1273, The K. to … escheator … lands of Helewysa de Levyntone, … at the request of Thomas son of Thomas de Multon of Gilleslande, one of her heirs, … escheator to hold an inquisition …
7/28/1276, Inquisition … Sr Thomas de Synterton, Kt. … From Thos. de Multon of Gillesland, Sr Thos. de S. took Denham Manor, Norf., to farm ... (S) Knights of Edward I, Moor, 1931, P256.
1/16/1279, Pleas of the Crown … Matillidis de Vaus holds the manor of Erthingtone with the barony of Gilleslaunde of the K. as a fee of two knights. … Thomas de Moletone of Burgh holds the manors of Burgh, Ayketone, Kirkesosewalde and the barony of Burgh of the K. by cornage. … The jurors attest that Thomas de Moltone of Gilleslaunde, as his ancestors have done from time immemorial, take fines from all illegal nets in the water of Edene at a place called Pell… William de Boyville took 100s from Thomas de Multone to delay makin the inquisition which the heirs of Eustace de Balliol had …
1281, Thomas de Multon de Gilleslaund was holding the market of Holbeach, Lincoln; claimed by charter [of his father in 1252]. (S) Gazetteer of Markets and Fairs.
11/25/1281, Licence for Thomas de Molton, for life, to take sturgeons in the king’s fishery of Carlisle, at a yearly rent of 13s 4d. (S) CPRs.
6/28/1283, Thomas de Multon of Gillesland summoned to Shrewsbury by writ from Rhuddlan to the king to hold a colloquium to ordain what should be done with David, brother of Llewellyn, formerly prince of Wales. (S) The Titular Barony of Clavering, 1891, P16.
1284-85, Thomas de Multon de Gillesland tenet villam de Holebeke de Thoma filio Lamberti de Multon, … (S) Inquisitions and Assessments Relating to Feudal Aids, 1904, P369.
4/30/1285, Licence for the alienation in mortmain by Thomas de Multon of Gilleslaund to the abbot and convent of Holmcoltram an acre of land in the town of Burgh-upon-the-Sands, for the enlargement of their court. (S) CPRs.
9/3/1286, Inquisition … extent of the lands of the late Patrick de Sutheyk … held of Thomas de Multon of Gilleslande land in the vill of Ayketon by homage …
7/1287, Thomas de Multon, father and son, summoned to appear with horses and arms at a military council at Gloucester before Edmund, earl of Cornwall.
1289, Hubert de Multone holds of Sir Thomas de Multon of Gillesland.
4/16/1291, “Matill’ de Multon d’n’s de Gilsland”, and Thomas de Multon senior and junior, summoned to Durham for military service in Scotland. (S) Registry of the Priory of Wetherhal, 1897, P307.
1292, The market at Kirk-Oswald, Cumberland, was held by Thomas son of Thomas de Multon de Gilleslaund, who claimed to be the heir of Hugh de Morevill. (S) Gazetteer of Markets and Fairs.
8/20/1292, The under-written have quittance of the common summons [of the eyre] for common pleas in co. Cumberland … Thomas de Multon of Gillesland. (S) CCRs.
9/29/1292, Escheator Thomas de Normanville renders under the county of Cumberland an account of the rents of lands of Thomas de Multon of Gillesland, held in chief. (S) Yorkshire Inquisitions, 1902, P8.
Bef. 6/24/1293, Thomas’ mother Maud died. “Order to deliver to Hubert de Multon, son of Maud de Multon, the manor of Surlingham, … by reason of her death, … she held the manor of Hubert for life, with reversion to him, … and Thomas de Multon, her son and heir, has granted before the king that the manor shall revert to Hubert by the form of a fine. (S) CCRs.
1293, Thomas, Baron of Gillesland and Burgh-upon-Sands, holding the manors of Kirk-Oswald, Cumberland, and Donham, Norfolk, died.
(S) A Gen. and Heraldic Dic., Burke, P380. (S) Cal. of Doc.’s Relating to Scotland, 1884.
· 4/1313, A day is given to Thomas de Multon of Gillesland hier and hold of the lands which were Eustace de Balliol’s, and Helewysa his wife daughter and heir of Ada de Fournival [sister and heir of Helewysa widow of Richard de Vernoun], to answer to Eustace and Helewysa’s relief in Ada’s lands, when she died in the time K. Henry, grandfather of the K. (S) Calendar of Documents Relating to Scotland, 1887, P60.
Child of Thomas and ?:
- G28: 243394000 ApGruffydd-Gwynedd
- G28: 243393928 Mauduit-Senlis
- G28: 243393932 Newburg-Warren
- G28: 243393920 Beauchamp-Braose
- G28: 243383552 Berners-Barrow
- G28: 243382850 Duston-Erdington
- G28: 243382848 Grey
- G28: 243382624 Stafford-Corbet
- G28: 243382596 FitzJohn-Dunbar
- G28: 243382594 FitzRanulph-Percy
- G28: 243382592 Neville
- G28: 243382542 Gant
- G28: 243382540 Peter de Mauley
- G28: 243382536 Multon
- G28: 243382318 Auberville
- G28: 243382312 Leyburn-Turnham
- G28: 243382304 Say
- G28: 243382144 William Bardolf
- G28: 243381890 Beke-Grey
- G28: 243381888 Wileby
- G28: 243380824 Burgh-Lacy
- G28: 243378816 Lovel-Basset-Talbot
- G28: 243378400 Talbot-apRhys
- G28: 243377248 Pateshull
- G28: 243376346 Longespee-Ridelisford
- G28: 243376344 Zouche-Quincy
- G28: 243376322 Fortibus-Ferrers
- G28: 243369104 Cobham-FitzBenedict
- G28: 243368000 Esturmy
- G28: 243367952 Beauchamp-Mohun
- G28: 189135170 Camville-Basset
- G28: 189134934 Tracy-Brewes
- G28: 189127984 Pecche-Peverel
- G28: 189127106 Birkin
- G28: 189125342 Dreux-St.Valery
- G28: 189125340 Burgundy-Vergy
- G28: 189125124 d'Aubigny-Louvain
- G28: 189125120 Mowbray-Gaunt
- ▼ February (38)
- ► 2012 (418)
- ► 2011 (538)
- ► 2010 (1664)