Thursday, February 28, 2013
G28: 243394000 ApGruffydd-Gwynedd
Bef. 1128, Owain born in Wales, s/o §Gruffudd ap Maredudd.
1128, Owain’s father died; his uncle Madog ap Maredudd succeeding.
~1145, Gwenlian born in Wales, d/o 79958920. King Owain Gwynedd ap Gruffydd & 486788003. Christina verch Goronwy.
1149, Madog ap Maredudd gave Cyfeiliog to his nephews Owain Cyfeiliog and Meurig. [Near the end of the year.] Owain’s share of his inheritiance formed the principality of southern Powys, later called Powys Wenwynwyn.
1153, owain attacked by Rhys ap Gruffydd.
1156, Owain freed his brother Meurig ab Gruffydd who was being held captive at Maelor. [Owain either wrote, or had written by the court poet, “The Drinking Horn of Owain”, the story of this raid.]
1160, On the death of Madog ap Maredudd, Owain, holding Cyfeiliog, became the ruler of most of southern Powys.
1162, Howel ab Leuaf of Arwystli invaded the cantref of Cyfeiliog and captured Tafalwern castle.
1162, Owain invaded Arwystli, defeated Hywel, and rebuilt Talfolwern Castle. (S) Domen Fawr, Tafolwern.
1163, Owain joined with Owain Fychan [his cousin, s/o Madog ap Maredudd] to capture and destroy the royal castle of Carreghofa.
1165, Owain allied with other Welsh princes under Owain Gwynedd against the expedition into Wales by the English in the Berwyn area.
1166, Owain joined with Owain Fychan to drive Iorwerth Coch from Mochnant, which they divided between them.
1167, Owain was again a supporter of English rule.
1167, Owain attacked by Owain Gwynedd and Rhys ap Gruffydd who seized the commote of Caereinion [which Owain soon regained with the help of the English.]
1170, Owain established the Cistercian monastery of Strata Marcella. (S) Sheriffs of Montomeryshire, Lloyd, 1876, P362.
1173, Owain supported English activities in the area. [Rebellion was widespread because of the rebellion of the sons of King Henry.]
1177, Owain attended King Henry of England’s council at Oxford.
1188, Owain excommunicated for failing to support the 3rd crusade. [Owain refused to Baldwin, archbishop of Canterbury, in his recruiting in Wales.]
1195, Owan gave up rule to his son Gwenwynwyn and retired to the abbey of Strata Marcella.
1197, Owain-Cyfeiliog ap Gruffydd, Prince of Powys died; buried at Strata Marcella.
(S) Medieval Wales, Walker, 1990, P91. (S) History of Wales, V2, Lloyd, 1912. (S) Welsh Biography Online.
· Gruffudd ap Maredudd, s/o Maredudd ap Bleddyn ap Cynfyn & Hunydd verch Eunydd.
· Owain married 2nd a d/o Rhys ap Gruffydd.
Child of Qwain and Gwenlian:
- G28: 243394000 ApGruffydd-Gwynedd
- G28: 243393928 Mauduit-Senlis
- G28: 243393932 Newburg-Warren
- G28: 243393920 Beauchamp-Braose
- G28: 243383552 Berners-Barrow
- G28: 243382850 Duston-Erdington
- G28: 243382848 Grey
- G28: 243382624 Stafford-Corbet
- G28: 243382596 FitzJohn-Dunbar
- G28: 243382594 FitzRanulph-Percy
- G28: 243382592 Neville
- G28: 243382542 Gant
- G28: 243382540 Peter de Mauley
- G28: 243382536 Multon
- G28: 243382318 Auberville
- G28: 243382312 Leyburn-Turnham
- G28: 243382304 Say
- G28: 243382144 William Bardolf
- G28: 243381890 Beke-Grey
- G28: 243381888 Wileby
- G28: 243380824 Burgh-Lacy
- G28: 243378816 Lovel-Basset-Talbot
- G28: 243378400 Talbot-apRhys
- G28: 243377248 Pateshull
- G28: 243376346 Longespee-Ridelisford
- G28: 243376344 Zouche-Quincy
- G28: 243376322 Fortibus-Ferrers
- G28: 243369104 Cobham-FitzBenedict
- G28: 243368000 Esturmy
- G28: 243367952 Beauchamp-Mohun
- G28: 189135170 Camville-Basset
- G28: 189134934 Tracy-Brewes
- G28: 189127984 Pecche-Peverel
- G28: 189127106 Birkin
- G28: 189125342 Dreux-St.Valery
- G28: 189125340 Burgundy-Vergy
- G28: 189125124 d'Aubigny-Louvain
- G28: 189125120 Mowbray-Gaunt
- ▼ February (38)
- ► 2012 (418)
- ► 2011 (538)
- ► 2010 (1664)