Saturday, March 9, 2013
G29: 319398656 Lovel-Huntingdon
~1115, Ralph Lupellus born in England, s/o 638797312. Earl William of Yvery & 638797313. Auberic de Meulan.
~1115, Margaret born in Scotland, d/o 638797314. Edgar Atheling.
Margaret heiress to lands in Roxburghshire, Scotland.
12/22/1135, Stephen crowned king of England; ursuping King Henry I’s daughter Empress Matilda; and starting a civil war.
1136, Robert of Brampton forfeited castle Cary when he went into exile. King Stephen granted castle Cary to Ralph Lovel. (S) From Alfred the Great to King Stephen, Davis, 1991, P175.
4/3/1138, Ralph Lovel held the castle at Cary, Somerset against King Stephen. (S) History of the English People, Huntingdon, 2002, P70. [Somerset was dominated by Empress Matilda’s half-brother Robert of Gloucester.]
9/1139, King Henry’s daughter Empress Matilda invaded England with forces led by her half brother Robert, Earl of Gloucester, and took control of western England. Geoffey Talbot, William Mohun, Ralph Lovel and other barons declared for her cause. (S) History of Englnd, V1, Keightley, 1839, P124.
2/2/1141 at Lincoln, King Stephen was captured by her half-brother Robert and brought to Empress Matilda.
3/3/1141, at Winchester, Ralph Lovel a witness to a charter of Empress Matilda. (S) King Stephen, King, 2010, P156.
4/7/1141 at Winchester, Empress Matilda acknowledged as “Lady of England and Normandy” by Bishop Henry.
9/14/1141, Empress Matilda’s forces defeated at the battle of Winchester.
11/1/1141, Empress Matilda exchanged King Stephen for her captured half-brother Robert.
12/25/1141, Stephen again crowned King. [The civil war would continue for 12 more years.]
1152, Ralph Lupellus defended castle Cary against King Stephen. (S) Collins’ Peerage.
12/19/1154, Henry II succeeded King Stephen of England.
1155, Ralph’s father died; Ralph succeeding to the English lands, his brother Waleran to the Norman lands.
1159, Ralph died; son Henry succeeding.
Margaret marred 2nd Thomas de Londres.
By 1164, Margaret died.
(S) TNEH&GR, 1957, P266.
· Huntingdon Priory chronicle: Extracts provided for King Edward I in 1291, state that Edward, son of Edmund Ironside, was the father of Margaret queen of Scots and Edgar, and that Edgar was the father of Margaret, of whom was born Henry called Lupellus.
Child of Ralph and Margaret:
- G29: 377996496 Lusignan-Racon
- G29: 325107712 Malet
- G29: 319838530 Blois-Normandy
- G29: 319834122 Montfort-Bardolf-Evreux
- G29: 319834120 Tosny-Evreux
- G29: 319832480 FitzJohn-FitzNigel
- G29: 319832448 Clare-Clermont
- G29: 319832118 Lancaster-Newburg
- G29: 319832116 Moreville-Beauchamp
- G29: 319832120 King David-Matilda-Earl Simon
- G29: 319832112 Galloway-Princess Elizabeth
- G29: 319832088 Montfort-Garlande
- G29: 319832086 FitzHamon-Montgomery
- G29: 319832070 Montgomery-laMarche
- G29: 319399468 Redvers-Peverel
- G29: 319832066 Peverel
- G29: Ferrers-Roberts
- G29: 319398656 Lovel-Huntingdon
- G29: Gael-Waer
- G29: 318232092 Beaumont-Vermandois-Warenne
- G29: 270190208 Vere-Montfort
- G29: 270188568 Malet-Mortimer
- G28: 243397376 Mauduit-delaMar
- G28: 243394012 Strange-Fusche
- G28: 243394002 Corbet-Pantulf
- ▼ March (25)
- ► 2012 (418)
- ► 2011 (538)
- ► 2010 (1664)