Saturday, May 11, 2013
G27: 94555212 Louvain-Limbourg-Loon
By 1142, Godfrey born in Brabant, s/o 189110424. Godfrey II of Brabant & 189110425. Luitgarde of Sulzbach.
Margaret of Limbourg, d/o §Hendrik van Limburg & Mathilde von Saffenberg [sister of 47277608. Duke Hendrik III of Limburg.]
1/23/1139, Godfrey’s grandfather [I] of the same name died.
6/13/1142, Godfrey III of Leuven, duke of Lower Lotharingia, became duke of Brabant on the death of his father [II].
3/30/1147 at Aachen, Godfrey present at the coronation of Henry [VI] of Germany [died 1150.]
1148, War broke out when Conrad, father of Henry VI left on crusade.
~1150, Imagina of Loon, d/o §Louis I, count of Loon & Agnes von Metz.
[–––Godfrey & Margaret–––]
1158, Godfrey III married Margaret of Limbourg.
1159, Godfrey ended a protracted war with the Berthout, lords of Grimbergen, by burning their fortress motte at Grimbergen.
1170, Henry, count of Namur and Luxembourg, and Baldwin, count of Hainault, defeated Godwin III of Louvain at the battle of Carnieres. Baldwin, with about 3000 foot soldiers, encountered Duke Godfrey of Louvain with a much larger army; but defeated them in the ensuing battle; killing about 2000 of the duke’s men and capturing about 6000. (S) Encyclopedia Metropolitana, V1, 1845, P561.
1171, Godfrey at war with Hainaut.
8/11/1171, Imagina’s father died.
1172, Margaret died; buried in Louvain, église collégiale de Saint Pierre. (S) FMG.
[–––Godfrey & Imagina–––]
Aft. 1172, Godfrey married 2nd Imagina of Loon, d/o Louis I, count of Loon.
1179, Godfrey arranged for his son Henri to marry Maud of Flanders, d/o Matthew of Alsace & Marie of Boulogne.
Bef. 1180, Imagina’s mother died.
1/1183, Baldwin V of Hainaut and Duke Godfrey of Brabant agreed to a truce. (S) Social Politics of Medieval Diplomacy, Huggman, 2000, P114.
1183-84, Godfrey went on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
4/1184, Godfrey and his son Henri present with the Archbishop of Cologne at a great gathering [estimated 40,000-70,000 knights] of nobles of Germany, Italy, and Burgundy in Mainz held by Emperor Frederic Barbarossa. (S) Medieval Popes, Emperors, Kings, …, Busk, 1854, P160.
11/1184, Philip, archbishop of Cologne, Duke Godfrey of Brabant [a vassal of the archbishop], the Duke’s son Henry of Brabant, and the Count of Flanders attacked the county of Hainault, besieging the castle of Binche. Baldwin, count of Hainault, held out and a peace treaty was made.
1185, Son Henri became acting Duke of Brabant when Godfrey ceded control to retire because of illness.
9/1185, ‘Godefridus dux Lotharingie’ returned property to Aachen St Maria, in the presence of ‘filiis meis Heinrico milite, Alberto clerico.’
1188, ‘Godefridus … Dux et Marchio Lotharingie’, at the request of ‘uxoris nostre Imaine ducisse Lotharingie’, confirmed the donations to Averboden by ‘frater eius comes Gerardus de Loen.’
8/21/1190, Godfrey died.
1203, Imagina became an abbess at Musterbilsen.
6/5/1214, Imagina died.
(S) Secretum Scriptorum, Prevenier, 1999, P47. (S) Foundation for Medieval Genealogy.
Children of Godfrey and Margaret:
By 1183, Albert the archdeacon of St. Lambert, Liege.
By 1189, Albert the provost of St. Lambert, Liege.
1191, Albert elected bishop of Liege.
11/24/1192, Albert assassinated at Reims.
Children of Godfrey and Imagina:
Aft. 8/1/1224, William died.
1196, Godfrey went to England.
Aft. 1199, Godfrey married Alice de Hastings, d/o Robert de Hastings & Mathilde de Flamville, widow of Ralph de Cornhill.
3/26/1208, John King of England granted ‘saisinam castri de Eya cum honore de Eya … q dux Lovan frater suus … dissaisit’ to ‘Godofredo de Lovania.’
1225-6, Godfrey died.
Child of Godfrey and Alice: Matthieu de Lovaine (47277990) [died bef. 11/1262], father of 23638995. Hawise de Louvain, married to 23638994. Regent Philip Basset of England.
Note: 4/1226, Matthew de Lovano paid homage to the king for the ten knights’ fees that Godfrey de Lovano his father held of the king.
- G29: 486752696 Seagrave-Despenser
- G29: 486787856 Mauduit-Hanslope
- G29: 486765702 Erdington-Cokefield
- G29: 486765256 Somery-d'Aubigny-Chaucombe-Seagrave...
- G29: 486765250 Corbet-Valletort
- G29: 486765248 Stafford-Ferrers
- G29: 486765194 Dunbar-Brus
- G29: 486765192 FitzRobert-Balliol
- G29: 486765190 Percy-Briwere-Baliol
- G29: 486765188 FitzRobert-Bigod
- G29: 486765080 Mauley-Turnham
- G29: 486764626 Turnham-Broc
- G29: 486764288 Bardolf-Warren
- G29: 486757632 William Lovel
- G29: 486756384 Mohun-FtizPiers
- G29: 486754496 Pateshull-Braybrooke
- G29: 486735904 Robert de Beauchamp
- G29: 486728262 Waleran-Longespee
- G29: 378270342 Basset-Courtenay
- G29: 378270340 Camvill-Haye
- G29: 378269868 Tracy-Torrington
- G29: 378251846. King Donald of Scotland
- G29: 378250680 Burgundy-Lorraine
- G29: 378236600 Hohenstaufen-Bavaria
- G29: 378250250 Brabant-Chiny-Burgundy
- G28: 189110424 Brabant-Sulzbach
- G27: 94555212 Louvain-Limbourg-Loon
- G29: 378250248 D'Aubigny-Bigod
- G29: 378250240 Albini-Gourney
- G29: 378236702 King Dermot Mac Murchada
- G29: 378236700 Clare-Beaumont
- G29: 378236684 Eu-Albini
- G29: 378236672 Bohun-Gloucester
- G29: 378236486 Talvas-Burgundy
- ▼ May (34)
- ► 2012 (418)
- ► 2011 (538)
- ► 2010 (1664)