Saturday, May 25, 2013
G29: 486765248 Stafford-Ferrers
~1195, Hervey born in England, s/o §Hervey Bagot & Milicent de Stafford.
Petronila born in England, d/o 19989504. Earl William de Ferrers & 19989505. Agnes of Chester.
1211, Hervey’s father died.
10/28/1216, Henry III, age 9, crowned king of England.
1219, Milicent de Stafford and her son Hervey were forced to invoke the aid of the crown to collect suctage from their tenents. (S) Collections – Staffordshire, V11, 1908, P6. [Milicent de Stafford and her son Hervey gave £15 to be quit of all arrears of the scutages of King John of the fee of Hervey Bagot.]
1221, Hervey de Stafford attended the King at the siege of Bitham castle, Lincolnshire.
1225, Hervey Bagot summoned to answer the complaint of Roger la Shuche.
1226, Henry de Alditheleg sued Hervey Bagot for the manor of Hortun; Hervey appeared and prayed a view.
1228, John de Saut called to warranty Hervey de Stafford, who appeared at the octaves of St. Martin.
1228, Suit: Roger de la Dune disseised William son of Guy; Roger gave the land to William for his homage, and accepted the homage in the Court of Hervey de Stafford, the capital lord of the fee.
1228, Hervey de Stafford gives 5 marks for licence of concord with Henry de Aldithelega respecting the manor of Hortun, regarding which a duel was waged between them, … Hervey acknowledges the manor to be the right of Henry for rent of 10s per annum.
4/1229, Adam de Shradicote, plaintiff, vs. Hervey de Stafford, tenant, in a plea; Adam gives a half a mark for a licence of concord.
6/1232, 4 knights summoned to elect 12 to make a recognition of a great assize between Hervey de Stafford, plaintiff, and Vivian de Staundon, deforciant … whether he owed to the said Hervey the service of half a knight’s fee …
7/11/1236, Ratification of the truce taken at Theokesbiry between the king and all his men and open adherents, and L. prince of Abbefrau and lord of Snaudon … Henry de Aldithele, John Lestrange and Hervey de Stafford swore on the king’s soul to keep the truce. (S) CPRs.
11/9/1236, Association of … and Henry de Audithelegh with Hervey de Stafford and Fulk son of Warin to receive and make amends for attacks committed in the time of the truce between the king and L. prince of Abberfrau. (S) CPRs.
Bef. 5/12/1237, Hervey died. (S) FRsHIII. [Hervey’s death associated with that of Payn de Chaorcis, Robert de Turvill, and Henry de Longo Campo.]
(S) Collections – Staffordshire, V4, 1883. (S) Peerages of England, Burke, 1831, P488.
· Hervey took his mother’s surname as she was heir to her brother Robert de Stafford, a more wealthy and connected family.
· Robert de Stafford, s/o Nicholas, s/o Robert.
· 1176, Robert de Stafford died; succeeded by his son Robert, and younger brother Nicholas, who both died on crusade without issue; leaving Milisent as the heir.
· 1192-3, Hervey Bagot married Milisent de Stafford [and paid a fine of 200 marks for her inheritance; increased to 260 marks the following year.]
· 1200, Fine between Roger, abbot of Evesham, plaintiff, and Hervey Bagot and Millicient, d/o Robert de Stafford, who originally made a grant to the monks of Evesham. (S) History of the Family of Wrottesley, 1903, P31.
· Hervey Bagot [died 1211], s/o Hervey Bagot [1166, held 3 fees of Robert de Stafford], s/o Hervey fitz Bagod, s/o Bagod, 1086 – held Bramshall of Robert de Stafford.
· 9/23/1224, Margaret Bagot gives half a mark for summoning Roger Martel before the justices at Westminster to acquit her of the service that Milicent of Stafford exacts from her for her free tenement in Blymhill and Brineton. (S) FRsHIII.
· 1228, Hervey’s brother William de Stafford named in a suit.
Children of Hervey and Petronilla:
7/8/1237, Hervey, son and heir of Hervey of Stafford , has made fine with the king by 500 m. for his relief and for having seisin of both the lands formerly of the same Hervey which fall to him by inheritance. (S) FRsHIII.
Hervey married Mabel de Muscegros, d/o Sir Robert de Muscegros & Hawise Malet.
6/29/1239, Hervey, son of Hervey de Stafford, sued Henry de Aldidelegh … manor of Horton.
Bef. 10/3/1241, Hervey died, his heir his brother Robert. (S) FRsHIII.