Sunday, June 9, 2013
G30: 639664896 Clare-Giffard
By 1040, Richard born in Normandy, s/o §Gilbert ‘Crespin’, count of Eu & Brionne.
Rohaise born in Normandy, d/o §Walter Giffard, count of Longueville & Ermendarde ?.
Richard and his brother took refuge in Flanders after their father was murdered.
1053, Richard, Seigneur de Bienfaite et d'Orbec, after William, duke of Normandy, restored these properties to him.
1066, Richard a councilor to Duke William in Normandy.
3/20/1066, Haley’s comet appeard in the sky at its closest point to earth, and was interpreted as an evil omen.
10/14/1066, ‘Ricardus de Benefacta’ a commander at the battle of Hastings with William the Conqueror.
10/25/1066, William I crowned King of England.
1066-67, Richard de Clare was given control of 176 lordships, mainly in Suffolk [95 of which were attached to Clare Castle].
1068, Richard de Clare built the castle of Tonbridge. (S) Guide Kent & Sussex, 2011, P130.
1070, Richard witnessed a royal charter at Salisbury.
1073-4, Richard de Tonbridge, cousin of King William, joint chief justiciar.
1075, Richard de Clare and William de Warren, justices, jointy suppressed a revolt of barons.
1075, Richard, regent of England.
1075, Richard received the lordship of Chepstow as an escheat.
1076, Richard de Clare joint chief justiciar with William de Warren. (S) DNB, Stephen, 1909, P829.
1078-79, Richard and Rohais founded a priory at St. Neots as a Norman cell [which was finished around 1100]. (S) History and Antiquities of Eynesbury, Gorham, 1820, P-CIV.
1079, Charter of William I confirming to the abbey of Jumieges … benefactors named … Richard de Clare, son of count Gilbert. (S) Cal. of Doc.’s Preserved in France, V1, Round, 1899, P54.
12/25/1080, Richard at the Christmas court of King William at Berkeley.
1081, Richard at the court of King William at Winchester.
1085-86, ‘Ricardus de Tonebruge’ in the general survey of England; with his seat at Tunbridge, Kent; which he had exchanged with the Archbishop of Canterbury for the castle of Brione. (S) Magna Charta Barons, Browning, 2002, P93.
1085-86, Rohais Giffard, wife of Richard de Clare, had land entered in the own name as tenent-in-chief in the Domesday Book.
Bef. 1086, Richard de Clare enfeoffed Robert de Watteville of the manor of Salford. (S) Religious Patronage, Cownie, 1998, P178.
9/26/1087, William Rufus crowned King of England; succeeding William the Conqueror. Duke Robert Curthose [the elder brother of the two] succeeded in Normandy.
1088, Hugh Broc held the church of Toppesfiled of Richard de Clare.
~1088, Richard retired as a monk.
4/1090, Richard died fighting the Welsh; ‘Ricardo filio comitis Gisleberti’ buried at St. Neots.
8/5/1100, Henry I crowned King of England.
1113, ‘Henrico regnante Dei gratia Rege Anglorum, Rohes uxor Richardi filii Comitis Gisleberti, dedit Deo, … concessit Gislebertus filius suus, uxorque ejus Aeliz, … Testibus: Willielmo Gyffart, … Fratribusque suis, Rogero, Waltero, Roberto, Eudone Dapifero …’ (S) History and Antiquities of Eynesbury, Gorham, 1820, P-CV.
Rohais died; buried at Colchester.
(S) Foundation for Medieval Genealogy. (S) DNB, V10, Lee, 1887, P389. (S) Domesday People, Keats-Rohan, 1999. (S) Official Baronage of England, V1, Doyle, 1886, P391.
· Rohaise’s brother Walter succeeded. Her brother William Giffard, bishop of Winchester [1100-1129], and Chancellor of England [1094-1101]. 8/5/1100, Walter present at the coronation of King Henry I.
· Gilbert, count of Eu & Brionne, guardian of William the Conqueror, assassinated in 1040; s/o Godfrey, Count of Eu, an illegitimate son of Richard the Fearless [reigned 942-996] & Gunnor ?.
· Originally a Norman family, they took their name from Clare in Suffolk where their first castle, and the seat of their barony, was situated.
· Walter Giffard brother of Osbert de Bolebec.
Children of Richard and Rohais:
4/1088, Roger and his brother Gilbert besieged at Tonbridge by King William II, and surrendered after 2 days. (S) Religious Patronage, Cownie, 1998, P212.
1090, Roger succeeded his father as Seigneur de Bienfaite et d'Orbec.
1119, Roger saved the life of King Henry I at the battle of Bremule.
Aft. 1131, Roger died; succeeded by his nephew, Gilbert fitz Gilbert de Clare.
ii. Gilbert Fitz Richard de Clare (319832448), born ~1070 in England.
Rohais married Eudo dapifer, steward to King Henry I.
1/1120, Eudo died; Rohaise surviving and given her dower lands.
1/7/1121, Rohese died; buried at Le Bec, Normandy.
Bef. 1086, Adeliza married Walter Tyrol [murderer of King William Rufus, heir & s/o William the Conqueror]. Richard de Clare enfeoffed Walter with Laingaham, Essex.
1124, Walter died.
1130, Adeliz in possession of Laingaham, Essex. (S) Fuedal England, Round, 1895, P470.
1138, Adeliza died.
Bef. 1086, Avice married Radulf de Filgeriis, seigneur de Fougeres, Brittany.
1124, Ralph died in Brittany.
Walter the founder of Tintern abbey.
1113, Foundation charter of St. Neot’s Priory: ‘… propria manu confirmavi. [seals] … Signum Walteri filii Ricardi. (S) History and Antiquities of Eynesbury, Gorham, 1820, P-CV.
Richard the Bishop of Ely.
Robert a steward to King Henry I.
- G30: 973530162 Thornham-Fossard
- G30: 973528578 Warenne-Pierrepont
- G30: 973528576 Bardulf-Hanselyn
- G30: 973515264 William Lovel
- G30: 973512768 Mohun-Brewer
- G30: 756539736 Oliver de Tracy
- G30: 378220820 Lorraine-Flandre-Formbach-Louvain
- G30: 756501362 Lorraine-Hohenstaufen
- G30: 756501360 Burgundy-Blois
- G30: 756500480 Albini-Mowbray
- G30: 756473368 Eu-Sulli
- G30: 756473352 Mandeville-Vere-Beauchamp
- G30: 756472974 Burgundy-Bourgogne
- G30: 756472972 Belleme-Ponthieu
- G30: 756441724 Boulogne-Lotharingia
- G30: 756441640 Flanders-Saxony-Holland
- G30: 756441482 Savoy-Burgundy
- G30: 756441250 King Alfonso of Castile and Leon
- Medieval Genealogically-Relevant Definitions
- G30: 756441248 Burgundy-Vienne
- G30: 756441102 Aetheling-Hungary
- G30: 756441100 King Duncan Mac Crinain
- G30: 756441098 Flanders-Capet
- G30: 756441096 Normandy-Falaise
- G30: 650215424 Gilbert Malet
- G30: 639677060 Blois-Maine
- G30: 639664896 Clare-Giffard
- G30: 639664244 Warenne-Flanders
- G30: 639664242 Northumberland-Lens
- G30: 639664140 Montgomery-Tavas
- G30: 638797314 Edgar Atheling
- G30: 638797312 Ivry-Meulan
- G30: 636464188 Gael-Hereford
- G30: 636464186 France-Vermandois
- G30: 636464184 Beaumont-Meulan
- G29: 486788024 John le Strange
- G29: 486787864 Newburgh-Perche
- G29: 486787858 Senlis-Beaumont
- ▼ June (38)
- ► 2012 (418)
- ► 2011 (538)
- ► 2010 (1664)