Monday, June 10, 2013
G30: 639677060 Blois-Maine
1012, Theobald born in Blois, s/o 1279354120. Eudes II, count of Blois & 1279354121. Ermengarde d’Auvergne.
~1030, Garsinde born in Maine, d/o §Herbert I, comte du Maine [gd/o §Herbert I Wake-Dog.]
7/20/1031, Henry I became King of France on the death of his father.
1032-37, ‘Odo comes filius [Odonis comitis]’ confirmed a donation of his father, subscribed by ‘Tetbaldi filii eius, matris eius Ermengardis … Hervei vicecomitis.’
11/15/1037, Thibaud III’s father Odo II of Blois died at the battle of Bar-sur-Aube. Thibaut succeeded as Comte de Blois, de Chartres, de Châteaudun, et de Sancerre. [Thibaut’s younger brother Stephen became Comte de Meaux, et de Troyes.]
1038, Thibaut lost Langeais to Fulk Nerra of Maine. (S) Fulk Nerra, Bachrach, 1993, P239.
1040, Hardicanute became king of both Denmark and England.
1040, Fulk Nerra of Maine died; succeeded by Geoffrey Martel.
1041, ‘Theobaldi filii Odonis Campaniensis’ of Blois lost Tours to Geoffrey Martel. [But later recaptured the town.]
1043, Geoffrey Martel, supported by King Henry of France, began a siege of Tours.
8/21/1044, Thibaut and his brother Stephen, assisted by Geoffrey of Chaumont, in an attempt to end a siege of Tours being conducted by Geoffrey Martel, clashed at the battle of Nouy. ‘Tetbaldus, filius Odonis comitis’ was captured. For his release, he had to surrender Tours and its surrounding lands, moving his seat of power to Chartres.
[–––Thibaut & Garsinde–––]
By 1045, Thibaut married Garsinde.
1047, Thibaut’s brother Stephen died. Stephen’s heir, Eudes III of Troyes and Meaux, a minor.
1047, Thibaud’s sister Berthe married [2nd time] to Garsinde’s uncle Hugh, count of Maine.
1047, William, Duke of Normandy, with the help of King Henry, suppressed a revolt of his vassals at the battle of Val-es-Dunes near Caen. Count Theobald supported King Hnery with a force of 500 knights. (S) Norman Conquest of England, Brown, 1984, P19.
1048, Thibaut, with Eudes III of Troyes and Meaux, and the Duke of Normandy, at the royal court of King Henry at Senlis, required his nephew Eudes III to give to King Henry an important abbey. (S) Battle Conference, 1993, P109.
By 1049, Geoffrey [Martel] of Mayenne took Garsonde as his mistress.
1049, Thibaut repudiated Garsinde.
1049, King Henry of France and Duke William of Normandy supported Thibaut in a campaign against Geoffrey of Gatinais, Count of Anjou. (S) Battle Conference, 1993, P108.
[–––Garsinde & Azzo–––]
By 1051, Garsinde remarried to Azzo II of Este of northern Italy.
1051, Thibaut’s borther-in-law Hugh, count of Maine, died. Thibaut did not defend his nephew Herbert’s lands when he was attacked at Le Mans by Geoffrey Martel.
8/1051, Thibaut and Geoffrey Martel both signatories to a charter.
By 1052, Thibaut was allied with Duke William of Normandy [likely giving up any claim on the county of Maine.]
1053-58, Geoffrey of Gatinais [older brother of Fulk of Anjou, and nephew of Geoffrey Martel, count of Anjou] captured Touraine and Vendome from Theobald of Blois.
2/1054, Duke William of Normandy had to repel the forces of King Henry I of France invading from the east, while the King’s brother Odo invaded from the west. Count Theobald supported King Henry.
8/1057, Duke William defeated the forces of King Henry at the battle of Varaville on the coast. William had waited until the invading forces were half on each side of a bridge to launch a surprise attack on one half. Count Theobald was a member of King Henry’s retinue.
8/4/1060, Philip I succeeded as King of France.
1062 at La Hougue, Thibaud III, patron of Marmoutier, at the Ducal court of William [future Conqueror] where the duke made concessions to Marmoutier. Geoffrey of Chamont a witness to the charter. (S) Battle Conference, 1993, P110.
1063-64, Thibaut [by force or some other means] made Eudes III of Troyes and Meaux, heir of his brother Stephen, flee from Champagne. (S) Battle Conference, 1993, P109.
1065, Conan II of Brittany sought an alliance with Thibaut against Anjou. (S) William the Conqueror, Douglas, 1999.
3/20/1066, Haley’s comet appeard in the sky at its closest point to earth, and was interpreted as an evil omen.
10/25/1066, William I crowned King of England
1068, King Philip joined a coalition with Thibaut, count of Blois, and the lords of Maine, against Count Geoffrey ‘the Bearded’ [successor of Count Geoffrey Martel.] (S) Cambridge Medieval History, Bury, 1911.
4/1069, The city of Le Mans revolted with the support of Azzo, lord of Este. Azzo returned to Italy leaving his wife Gersinde and their son Hugh in charge of Maine.
3/1070, Le Mans revolted against Geoffrey Martel; and Garsinde was held captive in the city.
1070, Thibaut allowed Jews [of Spanish origin] to open a school in Champagne. [Thibaut had links with Andalucia, the Umayyad Spanish caliphate, and the counts of Toulouse.] (S) Knights Templar of the Middle East, Albany, 2006, P70.
Bef. 1071, Geoffrey Martel re-captured Le Mans.
4/22/1073, Pope Gregory VII succeeded Pope Alexander II.
5/1077, Pope Gregory requested support from Count Theobald of Blois to Hugh of Die, papal legate, in an issued associated with Gerard, bishop-elect of Cambrai. (S) Pope Gregory VII, Cowdrey, 1998, P360.
1077-81, ‘Teobaudus comes palatinus’ donated property to Montierender.
1080, Theobald’s son Stephen married by proxy to Adela, d/o William [the Conqueror], King of England.
1082, Count Theobald of Blois urged Hugh of Die, papal legate, to excommunicate Count Walter of Brienne for harm done to the monastery of Montier-en-Der. (S) Cartulary of Montier-en-Der, Bouchard, 2004, P175.
1/11/1078, A charter to Cluny subscribed by: ‘… Tetbaldi comitis, Stephani comitis, Adeladis comitisse.’ [Thibaut, his son Stephen, and Stephen’s wife Adela.]
Bef. 1080, Geoffrey of Chamont was again allied with Thibaud III and his son Stephen-Henry in support of King William of England. (S) Battle Conference, 1993, P112.
12/27/1080, By letter, Pope Gregory requested the aid of Count Theobald of Blois. (S) Pope Gregory VII, Cowdrey, 1998, P343.
4/28/1081, By letter, Pope Gregory requested that Count Theobald of Blois abstain from contact with excommunicates. (S) Pope Gregory VII, Cowdrey, 1998, P341.
5/25/1085, Pope Victor III succeeded Pope Gregory VII.
9/26/1087, William Rufus crowned King of England; succeeding William the Conqueror. His elder brother Robert became Duke of Normandy.
1089, Thibaut died; buried at Epernay; leaving son Stephen-Henri as heir of Blois and Champagne [his half-brothers Odo, and then Hugh, receiving Epernay, Bar-sur-Aube and Vitry.] (S) Aristocracy – Champagne, Evergates, 2007, P7.
(S) Battle Conference, 1993. (S) Foundation for Medieval Genealogy.
· Garsinde had a brother: Count Herbert II of Maine who died without heirs; a sister Paula married to John of Le Fleche; a sister Margaret, and an aunt Biote, d/o Herbert Wake-the-Dog, married to Walter of Mantes, count of Pontoise.
· 1091, An Italian, Hugh of Este, s/o Marquis Azzo, and a cousin of Helias, made claims on Maine, through Garsinde du Maine, former wife of Count Thibaut III of Blois and Champagne, who had been repudiated and had remarried in northern Italy.
· By 1100, Hugh, s/o Thibaut [brother of Stephen-Henri] held the 3 contiguous counties in southern Champagne that formed the future “county of Champagne.”
Children of Thibaut and Garsinde:
- G30: 973530162 Thornham-Fossard
- G30: 973528578 Warenne-Pierrepont
- G30: 973528576 Bardulf-Hanselyn
- G30: 973515264 William Lovel
- G30: 973512768 Mohun-Brewer
- G30: 756539736 Oliver de Tracy
- G30: 378220820 Lorraine-Flandre-Formbach-Louvain
- G30: 756501362 Lorraine-Hohenstaufen
- G30: 756501360 Burgundy-Blois
- G30: 756500480 Albini-Mowbray
- G30: 756473368 Eu-Sulli
- G30: 756473352 Mandeville-Vere-Beauchamp
- G30: 756472974 Burgundy-Bourgogne
- G30: 756472972 Belleme-Ponthieu
- G30: 756441724 Boulogne-Lotharingia
- G30: 756441640 Flanders-Saxony-Holland
- G30: 756441482 Savoy-Burgundy
- G30: 756441250 King Alfonso of Castile and Leon
- Medieval Genealogically-Relevant Definitions
- G30: 756441248 Burgundy-Vienne
- G30: 756441102 Aetheling-Hungary
- G30: 756441100 King Duncan Mac Crinain
- G30: 756441098 Flanders-Capet
- G30: 756441096 Normandy-Falaise
- G30: 650215424 Gilbert Malet
- G30: 639677060 Blois-Maine
- G30: 639664896 Clare-Giffard
- G30: 639664244 Warenne-Flanders
- G30: 639664242 Northumberland-Lens
- G30: 639664140 Montgomery-Tavas
- G30: 638797314 Edgar Atheling
- G30: 638797312 Ivry-Meulan
- G30: 636464188 Gael-Hereford
- G30: 636464186 France-Vermandois
- G30: 636464184 Beaumont-Meulan
- G29: 486788024 John le Strange
- G29: 486787864 Newburgh-Perche
- G29: 486787858 Senlis-Beaumont
- ▼ June (38)
- ► 2012 (418)
- ► 2011 (538)
- ► 2010 (1664)