Thursday, June 13, 2013
G30: 756441102 Aetheling-Hungary
1016, Edward born in England, s/o §King Edmund the Ironside & Edith ?.
4/23/1016, Edmund became King of England on the death of his father.
10/18/1016, King Edmund of England, defeated at the battle of Ashingdon, gave Danish King Cnut all of England except for Wessex [which would be included on the death of Edmund.]
11/30/1016, Edward’s father died.
1016-17, King Cnut sent infant Edward into exile to be executed. [Instead Edward was routed to Kiev, traveling through Sweden.]
11/12/1035, King Canute of England died, naming his son Hardicanute as his heir. [Hardicanute remained in Denmark, and England split, the south loyal to Hardicanute, the north loyal to Harold, Hardicanute’s half brother.]
1040, Hardicanute became king of both Denmark and England.
1040-42, Hardicanute brought Edward the Confessor of England back from exile in Normandy through a treaty.
1042, Hardicanute died, Edward the Confessor again became King of England. [Half-uncle of Edward.]
1046, Edward and Edmund were in Hungary where they paticipated in a war of succession.
[–––Edward & Agatha–––]
Edward married Agatha.
1046, Edward and Edmund left Hungary to return to Kiev.
1051, William, duke of Normandy, in England, supposedly was made “heir” by Edward the Confessor. [This is in conflict with English law of the time which require an assembly of nobles to select a King’s successor.]
1052, Kind Edward the Confessor began the construction of Westminster Abbey. [Finished in 1065.]
Bef. 1054, Edward’s older brother Edmund died.
1056, Edward recalled to England as heir to the crown by King Edward the Confessor.
1057, Edward arrived back in England with his son Edgar.
4/9/1057, Edward, “the Exile” died [likely killed by Earl Harold Godwinson], buried at St. Paul’s, London.
Summer/1067, Agatha with her daughters Margaret, Christina returned to England.
1068, King Malcolm of Scotland granted refuge to English exiles fleeing King William I. [Who was violently suppressing revolts in the north of England.] The exiles included Margaret, her sister Christina, her brother Edgar, and their mother Agatha.
Agatha became a nun at Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
(S) Foundation for Medieval Genealogy.
· King Edmund the Ironside, half-brother of King Edward the Confessor [s/o Aethelred the Unready & Emma of Normandy.]
· King Edumund; s/o King Aethelred the Unready [died 4/23/1016] & Aelfgifu [d/o Thored, earl of Northumbria]; s/o King Edgar the Peaceful [died 7/8/975] & Aelfthryth [d/o Ealdorman Ordgar]; s/o King Edmund I [died 5/26/946] & Aelfgifu of Shaftesbury; s/o King Edward the Elder [ King of the Anglo-Saxons, died 7/17/924]; s/o King Alfred ‘the Great’ [King of the Anglo-Saxons, died 10/26/899]; s/o King Aethelred of Wessex [died 4/23/871]; s/o King Aethelwulf of Wessex [died 1/13/858]; s/o Egbert of Wessex [died 839]; s/o Ealhumd of Kent [784, King of Kent.]
Children of Edward and Agatha:
1086, ‘clito Eadgarus … germana Christina’ entered Romsey abbey as a nun.
Aft. 1090, Christina died.
- G30: 973530162 Thornham-Fossard
- G30: 973528578 Warenne-Pierrepont
- G30: 973528576 Bardulf-Hanselyn
- G30: 973515264 William Lovel
- G30: 973512768 Mohun-Brewer
- G30: 756539736 Oliver de Tracy
- G30: 378220820 Lorraine-Flandre-Formbach-Louvain
- G30: 756501362 Lorraine-Hohenstaufen
- G30: 756501360 Burgundy-Blois
- G30: 756500480 Albini-Mowbray
- G30: 756473368 Eu-Sulli
- G30: 756473352 Mandeville-Vere-Beauchamp
- G30: 756472974 Burgundy-Bourgogne
- G30: 756472972 Belleme-Ponthieu
- G30: 756441724 Boulogne-Lotharingia
- G30: 756441640 Flanders-Saxony-Holland
- G30: 756441482 Savoy-Burgundy
- G30: 756441250 King Alfonso of Castile and Leon
- Medieval Genealogically-Relevant Definitions
- G30: 756441248 Burgundy-Vienne
- G30: 756441102 Aetheling-Hungary
- G30: 756441100 King Duncan Mac Crinain
- G30: 756441098 Flanders-Capet
- G30: 756441096 Normandy-Falaise
- G30: 650215424 Gilbert Malet
- G30: 639677060 Blois-Maine
- G30: 639664896 Clare-Giffard
- G30: 639664244 Warenne-Flanders
- G30: 639664242 Northumberland-Lens
- G30: 639664140 Montgomery-Tavas
- G30: 638797314 Edgar Atheling
- G30: 638797312 Ivry-Meulan
- G30: 636464188 Gael-Hereford
- G30: 636464186 France-Vermandois
- G30: 636464184 Beaumont-Meulan
- G29: 486788024 John le Strange
- G29: 486787864 Newburgh-Perche
- G29: 486787858 Senlis-Beaumont
- ▼ June (38)
- ► 2012 (418)
- ► 2011 (538)
- ► 2010 (1664)