Tuesday, July 16, 2013
G31: 1513002720 Duke Hugh of Burgundy
1085, Hughes born in Burgundy, s/o 756472974. Odo, Duke of Burgundy & 756472975. Sibylle de Bourgogne.
~1100, Mathilde born in France, d/o §Gauthier, Seigneur de Mayenne & Aline de Beaugency.
8/5/1100, Henry I crowned King of England.
1101, ‘Odo dux Burgundiæ’ granted compensation for his actions to Cluny in which he names ‘filiorumque suorum, Hugonis, Heinrici.’
Bef. 6/1101, Hugh appointed as regent by his father who was leaving on crusade.
Bef. 6/1101, Hughes subscribed the charter of his father to Saint-Bénigne-de-Dijon.
1103, Hugues succeeded his father as Hugues II ‘le Pacifique’, duke of Burgundy.
1103, ‘Hugodux Burgundie filius Odonis ducis’ donated property to Saint-Bénigne-de-Dijon specifying that his father died ‘in itinere Hierosolimitano’.
8/3/1108, Louis VI crowned King of France.
1109 in Normandy, Hugues supported King Louis VI of France against King Henry I of England.
1110, Duke Hugh withdrew his support for the Cistercian order founded by his father.
1112, Hugh, duke of Burgundy, besieged Seigneur de Grancey-le-Chateau. Members of the siege included brothers of [future] Saint Bernard of Clairvaux; who are said to have received their call during this siege. (S) Boundaries of Charity, Newman, 1996, P26.
1113-19, ‘Hugo Burgundie dux’ donated property to Saint-Bénigne-de-Dijon naming ‘Mathilde coniugis mei et filio mei Oddonis’.
1116, Hugues married Mathilde.
1119, ‘Hugo … dux Burgundie et coniunx mea Mahaldis’ donated property to Cîteaux.
1120s, The nunnery of Tart, affiliated with Citeaux, founded by Arnulf Cornu with consent of Duke Hugh II of Burgundy. (S) Sword, Miter and Cloister, Bouchard, 2009, P123.
8/1124, King Louis VI, having assembled an army from across France, repeled invading Emperor Henry V in Lorraine. Before going into battle Louis acquired the red silk banner, the Oriflamme of St. Denis, to carry into battle. An easy victory, Hugues the commander of the vanguard [the center] with William, count of Nevers. (S) The Capetians, Bradbury, 2007, P143.
1129, Duke Hugh of Burgundy, Bishop Guilenc of Langres, and other noblemen gathered at St-Benigne to hear Guy Cornelly’s proposal to have the monks take over care of his wife and daughters, who had leprosy. (S) Templar Families, Schenk, 2012, P139.
10/20/1131, ‘Hugo dux Burgundiæ” donated land in ‘Flagit et Verne’ to Vergy Saint-Vincent, with the consent of ‘uxore sua Mathilde cum omnibus filiis suis Odone, Hugone, Roberto, Henrico, Raimundo, Walterio.’
1132, Hugh, duke of Burgundy, sent a letter to William X, count of Poitiers and duke of Aquitaine. (S) Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, Williams, 1935, P116.
1133, The Pope called on Duke Hughes to enforce the solution of a long-standing quarrel between the houses of St. Seine and St. Etienne of Dijon. (S) Sword, Miter and Cloister, Bouchard, 2009, P129.
8/1/1137, Louis VII succeeded as king of France.
1142, Hugues died; buried with his father at Abbaye de Citeaux, Cote-d’Or. (S) Life of St. Stephen Harding, Dalgairns, 1898, P79.
6/28/1156, ‘Odo dux Burgundie, Maltrix mater eius …’ witnessed a donation to Grosbois abbey by ‘Henricus Eduensis ecclesie presul.’
(S) Foundation for Medieval Genealogy.
Child of Hugues and Mathilde:
- G3: Bond 6 Bond-Cochran
- G33: 6051528792 Duke Hugh of France
- G32: 3025764398 Arles-Provence-Anjou
- G32: 3025764396 Hugh Capet, King of France
- G32: 3025764392 Arnulf II of Flanders
- G32: 3025764384 Duke Richard I of Normandy
- G32: 2558708240 Blois-Bourgogne
- G32: 2545856746 Yaroslav I, Grand Prince of Kiev
- G32: 2555189250 Breteuil-Montfort
- G31: 1947060760 Louvain-Percy
- G31: 1947060754 Glanville-Valoines
- G31: 1947057156 Warren-Wormegay
- G31: 1947025536 William III de Mohun
- G31: 1521882496 Burgundy-Normandy
- G31: 1513002720 Duke Hugh of Burgundy
- G31: 1512946706 de Vere-FitzRichard
- G31: 1512945948 Henry of Burgundy
- G31: 1512883450 Duke Godfrey of Lorraine
- G31: 1512883448 Boulogne-Louvain
- G31: 1512882502 Duke Robert of Burgundy
- G31: 1512882500 King Fernando of Castile and Leon
- G31: 1512882198 King Robert of France
- G31: 1512882196 Count Baldwin IV of Flanders
- G31: 1512882192 Duke Richard of Normandy
- G31: 1512882176 Fulk Nerra of Anjou
- G31: 1300430848 Malet-Crispin
- G31: 1279354120 Count Odo of Blois
- G31: 1277594624 Gouel-Breteuil
- G31: 1272928378 FitzOsbern-Tony
- G31: 1272928374 Vermandois-Valois
- G31: 1272928372 King Henry I of France
- G30: 973530514 d'Aubigny-Chester
- G30: 973530512 Somery-Paganel
- G30: 973530388 Dunbar-Scotland
- G30: 973530380 Percy-Brus
- G30: 973530376 FitzRalph-Glanville
- ▼ July (36)
- ► 2012 (418)
- ► 2011 (538)
- ► 2010 (1664)