7250. Jean Guyon & 7251. Marie Mathurine Robin
Etude Genealogique Sur Jean Guyon
9/18/1592, Jean born and christened in St. Aubin Church, Tourouvre, Perche, France; s/o 14500. Jacques Guyon & 14501. Marie Huet. Godfathers were Jean Collin and Pierre Dolinet, godmother Catherin Goddin.
1592, Mathurine born in St. Jean, Mortagne, Perche, France; d/o 14502. Eustache Robin & 14503. Madeleine Avrard.
5/18/1614, Jean, at the age of 22, lent to Pantaleon Bigot, a laborer at Autheuil, a small village to the southeast of Tourouvre (the small village of Robert Giffard), an amount consisting of “a small pistolet d’or, fifty-two sols in coins, quarts d’ecus and other monnaie blanche”, valued at 84 livres.
1615, Jean moved to the Parish of St. Jean.
11/30/1615, Jean, a master mason and stone cutter, constructed a stone staircase in the St. Aubin Church [which still exists today]. The parishioners of Tourouvre requested from “Jehan Froger and Jehan Guyon, mason, living in the parish of Saint-Jean at Mortagne, a flight of stones to go up the first floor of the bell tower with a huisserie of white stones from La Louverye, at the bottom and entrance to this flight”.
6/12/1615 Jean married Mathurine Robin in St. Jean, Montague, Sees, Perche, France.
7/21/1625, the village of Mortagne had old walls in need of repair. The administrator of the residents of the town, Jean Ailleboust, ordered Guyon to go ahead with some repairs. A promise of 150 livres was made with a delivery of scaffolding, water, lime and sand.
8/22/1625, Nothing had been done on the walls because the supplies were not delivered. Jean went to the Court to urge the town administrator to deliver to him the money and the necessary materials to begin the work on the walls.
1626, after the death of his mother, they moved to the parish of Notre-Dame. Three children were born in this house which still exists today at the junction of routes Colonel Guerin and Saint Denis.
4/22/1626, Pierre Hayes, of the parish of Saint-Jean, was hired “to begin on next Pentecost” in the service of Jean. Jean “will instruct him well and duly in his trade as mason, will feed him, direct him, provide him with heat and a place to sleep and in exchange, the pupil will serve his master faithfully and give him thirty livres for board for the three years.”
1632, Jacques Patard, a mason at Tourouvre, went to learn the secrets of his trade at Mortagne, at the home of Jean Guyon.
3/13/1634, at Mortagne, Jean and his fellow-countryman Zacharie Cloutier signed an undertaking with Robert Giffard. Giffard would pay the passage plus food and lodging in Canada (to the extent that the land permitted), plus one family member each, for a period ot three years, to date from June 24, 1634. After two years the two men would be allowed to send for the rest of their families, also at the expense of the Seigneur of Beauport. Giffard agreed to give each man a few head of livestock to get started farming, plus 1000 arpents of land with the right to build on it, in addition to the right to hunt, fish and trade with the savages.
3/14/1634, [same day] Jean Guyon, censitaire of the Seigneur, apothecary Giffard, sold to Denis Gentil, Sieur de Rougemont, a bit of land for a garden, located at the entrance to the city of Mortagne, parish of Loise for 45 livres. However, the head of the Guyon family kept a house that he owned at Mortagne.
They took the route to Rouen, then to Dieppe, port of embarkation, where a fleet of four ships under the command of Charles Duplessis-Bochart, admiral of the fleet of the One Hundred Associates awaited them.
6/4/1634 the day of the Feast of Pentecost, Jean had moved his family to New France [Quebec]. Other countrymen on the boat included Zacharie Cloutier, Noel Langlois and Jean Jinchereau. The eldest child Barbe did not join them until later. The personal property and tools of the colonists were placed in the old warehouse of the port. Men, women and children found lodging in the barracks erected near the shore. Then some scouts and finally the entire group left the Lower-Town to meet at the small river of Notre-Dame de Beauport. As quickly as possible, they needed to sow, to build a public house, to get settled. Near the Dubuisson River, Zacharie Cloutier and Jean Guyon laid out their first foundation, that of a community house.
By 7/22/1634, master-carpenter Zacharie Cloutier and master-mason Jean Guyon were hard at work on construction of a manor house for their lord as well as the parish church and Fort Saint-Louis in Quebec. The manor house for Seignuer Giffard was a two story masonry dwelling, 32 feet long by 16 feet wide with 6 foot clearance under the beams; overlooking the St. Lawrence. It became known as “Le Manior de Beauport” and survived until 1879 when it was destroyed by fire and was demolished in 1880.
1636, Jean settled at Beauport with his wife and most of their children, of whom there were at least eight. When he received from Giffard an arriere-fief near the Rivière du Buisson, he assumed that nobiliary surname. Several of his descendants now bear the name Dion.
12/18/1636, the Lord of Beauport obtained a judgement against Cloutier and Guyon concerning certain work which was due him.
2/3/1637, A ruling drawn up by Jean de Lespinasse, reveals that, Jean Guyon and Zacharie Cloutier, who seem to have done nothing without the other, were given possession of the fiefs promised to them by Giffard. That of Guyon was named “du Buisson”.
By 12/10/1637, Jean had built a mill to make boards.
5/4/1642, Governor Montmagny settled the long contract dispute between Giffard, and Zacharie and Jean, awarding Zacharie and Jean each a total of 1000 arpents.
5/15/1642, Giffard summoned Guyon and five other colonists from his seigneurie to give them fields to pasture their animals in and to harvest hay from them for three years, on the condition of giving one work day a year to the community.
5/29/1644, Notary Guillaume Tronquet recorded that “Giffard, Sieur de Beauport, visited the Buisson river in company with Jean Guyon, Zacharie Cloutier, Adrien du Chesne, Jean Bourdon and Abraham Martin” and that, he gave them the land “from this river up to the first point, running along the length of the Saint Lawrence river”.
1646–1647, Jean and Zacharie worked on construction of the parish church of Quebec and Govenor’s residence.
7/2/1646, Giffard sued Guyon and Cloutier for refusing to render him “faith and homage” as all good vassals (humble servant or subordinate) were required to do with regard to their seigneur.
7/19/1646, the Governor ordered Guyon and Cloutier to comply. The two disobedients got even in their own way by refusing to present the inventory as required from all landowners in a seigneurie.
4/18/1648, account detail of construction projects: “For the cart which he needed to haul the stone, wood, sand, lime, planks, etc ... and all the carriages made by the sieurs Hubou, Jean Guyon and Zacharie Cloutier.”
9/9/1648, Jean Guyon and Michel Leneuf examined the first Morin house and its lot, located on the tip of Cap-aux-Diamants.
10/18/1653, Jean gave as a gift to a charitable religious organization at Saint-Jean the family home he had maintained in France.
2/7/1655 at Quebec, Jean, habitant of Beauport, was the godfather to Guillaume Hebert, s/o 3638. Francois Hebert dit Le Compte de Roussy & 3639. Anne Fauconnier.
10/16/1656, Jean hosted the wedding of 2038. Guillaume Baucher dit Morency & 2039. Marie Anne Paradis in his home.
7/7/1658 at Notre-Dame-de-Quebec, Mathuine was the godmother to her g-g-s Martin Baucher.
2/24/1660, Jean Guyon senior was confirmed by Msgr. de Laval.
4/16/1662, Mathurine died in Beauport, buried the next day.
5/30/1663, a Wednesday, Jean died in Beauport, buried the next day. [A family lawsuit of his property would last 5 years.]
(S) Louis Guyon, Étude généalogique sur Jean Guyon et ses descendants (Montreal, 1927). (S) PRDH Family #56. (S) Our French-Canadian Ancestors, T.J. Laforest, V-XXV.
Family notes :
• According to the PRDH database, Jean had the 2nd most number of married descendants before 1800 of all settlers: 9,674.
• Jean is sometimes listed as having 2 wives : Mathurine Robin & Madeleine Boule.
• According to a study published in the Action Catholique de Quebec, 11/30/1921, in 9 generations, the Guyon family gave the Canadian Church 1 cardinal, 17 archbishops and bishops, more than 450 priests, and a multitude of monks and nuns.
• Jean Guyon was a well educated man and wanted the same opportunity for his children. The boys were sent to the Jesuit College and the girls instructed by the Ursuline nuns, who later wrote; “There is no other family whose zeal for education has been more transmitted from generation to generation during the past hundred years than that of Jean Guyon”.
Children of Jean and Mathurine:
i. Marie Barbe Guyon (7319), born 4/18/1616 in St. Jean de Montagne, Perche, France.
ii. Jean Guyon dit Dubuisson, born 8/1/1619 in St. Jean de Montagne, Perche, France.
11/27/1645 in Quebec, Jean married Elisabeth Couillard, d/o Marie Guillemette Hebert, d/o 15948. Louis Hebert & 15949. Marie Rollet. [13 children.]
1/14/1694, Jean died in Chateau Richer, Canada.
iii. Simon Guyon, born 9/2/1621 in St. Jean de Montagne, Sees, Perche, France.
11/10/1653 in Quebec, Simon married Louise Racine, d/o 3650. Etienne Racine & 3651. Marguerite Martin. [7 children.]
2/8/1681, Simon died in Ville de Québec, Canada.
iv. Marie Guyon (3625), born 3/18/1624 in De La Rochelle, Aunis, France.
v. Marie Guyon, born 1/29/1627 in Quebec, Canada. [Died an infant.]
vi. Claude Guyon, born 4/22/1628 in Notre Dame, Montagne, France.
2/7/1655 in Quebec, Claude married Catherine Colin.
1666 Census of Ile d’Orleans, Québec, 5 children and a servant.
10/1/1688, Claude married Marguerite Benaudiere.
2/23/1694, Claude died in Quebec, Canada.
vii. Joseph Guyon, born 1629 in Orne, Montagne, Perche, France.
viii. Denis Guyon, born 6/30/1630 in France.
10/21/1659 in Quebec, Denis married Elisabeth, d/o Francois Boucher. [9 children.]
9/24/1671, Guillaume Fournier bought a boat which Denis Guyon, a merchant of Quebec, promised to deliver to him on the following Wednesday for 375 livres, plus 100 sols for the pins. The craft of 5 to 6 tons included cargo space, tackle and gear.
8/30/1685, Denis died in Quebec, Canada.
Marie married Antoine de Lamothe Cadillac, founder of Detroit.
ix. Michel Guyon dit Rouvray, born 3/3/1634 in Montagne, Perche, Normandy, France.
9/4/1662 in Quebec, Michel married Genevieve Marsolet dit Stagnan. [13 children.]
1/7/1704 Michel, Sieur de Rouvray, died in Lower-Town, Québec.
x. Paul Guyon, born 9/15/1636 in Montagne, Perche, Normandy, France.
xi. Jacques Guyon, born 11/28/1637 in Tourouvre, Orne, Perche, France.
xii. Noel Guyon, born 8/27/1638 in Quebec, Canada. [Died an infant.]
xiii. Francois Guyon dit Despre, born 12/7/1639 in Quebec, Canada.
9/4/1662 in Quebec, Francois married Marie Madeleine, d/o Nicolas Marsolet dit Stagnan & Marie Barbier.
12/1699 Census of Fort Maurepas, Officer, Francois – Master of a boat, from the vessel Le Voyager. (S) Census Tables 1699–1732.
3/5/1718, Francois, Sieur de Despres, died in Beauport, Canada.