23639800. Sir Giles de Badlesmere & 23639801. Margaret ?
~1210, Giles born in Kent, England, s/o §§William de Badlesmere.
1197, Fleet prison built in London.
5/27/1199, John crowned king of England.
10/19/1216, Henry III, age 9, succeeded John as King of England.
Margaret 1st married to Robert de Leveland, Fleet prison Warden. [In her right.]
Aft. 1222, Giles’ father died.
1216–1222, Margaret received the payments formerly made to her husband as Fleet Warden.
[––Giles & Margaret––]
1222, Giles, a justice itinerant, married widow Margaret without the King’s license. (S) Hist. and Topo. Survey of Kent, V6, 1798, Leveland.
1223–1258, Giles the Warden of Fleet prison [formerly held by Margaret.]
1256, Giles received a pardon from King Henry III for marrying without his license.
1258, Giles slain in battle against the Welsh. [Margaret married Fulk de Peyforer.]
(S) Walks and Talks about London, Timbs, 1865, P187. (S) The History of the Fleet Marriages: With Some Account of the Wardens of the Prison, Burn, 1846.
· 1176, §§Bartholomew de Badlesmere amerced 20 marks for trespassing in the royal forests.
· 1204, Quitclaim from Hugh de Mont' Forte … Witnesses … Giles of Badlesmere, knight … (S) UKNA.
· 7/28/1214, Agreement. 'Dominus' Stephen Langton, archbishop of Canterbury … The parties chose 4 arbitrators … §§Giles of Badlesmere on behalf of William, and agreed to abide by their decision. (S) UKNA.
· 11/30/1215, William de Badlesmere taken captive at Rochester castle by King John.
· 1222, William released from prison.
Child of Giles and Margaret:
i. Guncelin de Badlesmere (11819900), born ~1235 in Kent, England.