2066. Thomas Bailey & 2067. Cecily Reynolds [Eng, VA]
~1600 Thomas born in England s/o §Samuel Bailey.
1605, Cicely born in Dorsetshire, England, d/o 4134. Thomas Reynolds II & 4135. Cicely Phippen.
8/1611, 11 year old Cicely arrived in VA aboard the ship Swan, under the auspices of relatives from Dorsetshire, England. (S) Lists of Emmigrants to America 1600-1700, Hotten, P209. She lived with her cousin Capt William Pierce (III) who had arrived in 1610 on the ship Sea Venture. [The Sea Venture left England in 1609. The ship ran aground in West Indies and did not arrive at Jamestown until 1610.] Joane Pierce, the Captain’s wife arrived later on the “Blessing.” Another cousin (of her mother) Silvester Jordan, came about the same time, so there was no lack of relatives to look after the 10 year old child, whose mother, still living in Dorsetshire, had consented to her coming.
~1615 in VA Thomas married Cicely.
Capt. Bailey was a member of the Governor’s Guard at Jamestown. (S) History of the Virginia Company of London, 1869, P60.
9/20/1620, Thomas died, a victim of malaria; leaving 200 acres to Temperance.
1620, Cicely married 2nd Samuel Jordan, a cousin, who had arrived in 1610 on the ship Sea Venture. [A male protector was an absolute necessity for the safety of the early female settlers in VA. For this reason we frequently find widows marrying within a few weeks after the death of their husbands, their newly acquired mate joining with the widow in the administration upon her deceased husband’s estate.] Samuel was a young widower who had left his small sons in England. Samuel established a seat on the James River near its confluence with the Appomattox, which he called “Jourdan’s Jorney”. Samuel added large holdings on the south bank of the James at Jordan’s Point, where he built a house called “Beggar’s Bush”, named after a popular London theatrical performance at the time.
12/10/1620, Cicely an “Ancient Planter”: “To all to whom these presents shall come etc Greeting in our Lord God Everlasting. Know yee that I George Yardley Knight, Governor and Capt. Genll. of Virginia etc. … Give and grant to Samuel Jourdan of Charles Citty in Virga. Gent, an ancient planter who hath abode ten years Compleat in this Colony and performed all services to the Colony … Cecily his wife an ancient planter also of nine years continuance, …& 388 acs. in or near upon Sandys his hundred, towards land of Temperance Baley, …, & c. Given at James City 10 December 1620 and Signed /s/ George Yardley”.
3/1/1622, Samuel, Cicely, Temperance, Mary, & Margaret survive the Indian massacre: “Far up the James at Jordan’s Point, stalwart old Samuel Jordan, one of the original Burgesses of the first Assembly, having escaped an early attack, and being warned of what was happening by a colonist who rowed over the river to his plantation, gathered together a few stragglers, fortified ... ‘Beggar’s Bush’ and lived on there without loss of life despite assaults of the enemy and carnage among his neighbors.” (S) Virginia Venturer, Hale, PP81-2.
7/3/1622, Mary Tue assigned 100 acres in Diggs to Samuel Jordan of Charles Hundred. (S) History of the Virginia Company of London, 1869, P315.
1/21/1624, Cicely 24, Samuel, & Temperance 7, listed in the Muster at “Jorns Journey” Plantation. William Farrar 31, Cicely’s future husband, is also listed at this location.
Samuel died, while Cicely was pregnant.
4/21/1624, Mrs Jourdan, widow, vs. a certain Rev. Greville Pooly. He claimed that she had engaged herself to him within 4 days of Samuels death. (S) History of the Virginia Company of London, 1869, P383. [He vociferously wooed Cecily, who rejected his advances on the ground that she was with child; but thereafter she married Capt. William Farrar, a prominent man of the Virginia Council. Thereupon the parson brought what has been called by Alexander Brown the first breach of promise suit in America. The astute 3rd husband, being a lawyer, succeeded in quashing the proceedings.]
~1626, Cicely married 3rd William Farrar Sr., died ~1635. [William’s ancestral lineage goes back to Magna Carta Baron Roger le Bigod – MCA, P316.]
[Some believe that Cicely married 4th Peter Montague534. There is no evidence supporting this marriage.]
Cecily 4th married Thomas Parker by whom there were no heirs.
(S) The North Carolina Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol II, No 4, Oct 1901. (S) Links In A Chain, by James P.C. Southall, The Virginia Magazine of Hist. and Bio., Vol.LI, No. 4, 10/1943, PP383-6. (S) Reynolds History Annotated 1475-1977, W G Reynolds, 1978, Mercury Press. (S) The Sister of Christopher Reynolds of Isle of Wight VA?, by Clement and Taylor, Ch3.
Child of Thomas and Cicely:
i. Temperance Bailey ( 1033), born 1617 in VA.
Children of Samuel and Cicely:
ii. Mary Jordan, born ~1621 in VA
iii. Margaret Jordan, born ~1623 in VA.
iv. Richard Jordan, born ~1625 in VA.
Children of William and Cicely:
v. Capt. William Farrar Jr, born ~1627 in VA.
[Ancestor of Priscilla Baugh’s ( 514i) husband.]
vi. Lt. Col. John Farrar, born ~1629 in VA.
- ► 2020 (1360)
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (488)
- Vice-Admiral Arthur Champernon & Mary Norris
- Lord Edward Seymour & Countess Mary Walsh
- Nicholas Martyn Esq. & Margaret Wadham
- Sir John Brune & Jane Bamfield
- Lord Anthony Rogers Esq. & Ann Wroughton
- Lord Thomas Hall & Elizabeth Mervyn
- Sir William Sutton of Nottingham
- Christopher Symcockes & Joan Pettie
- Thomas Leigh
- Thomas Blagrove of Berkshire & Joan Bellame
- Sir Christopher Pykering & Jane Lewknor
- Sir Thomas Knyvet & Muriel Howard
- Sir Edmund Denny & Mary Troutbeck
- Lord Thomas Cary & Margaret Spencer
- Sir John Sayvile & Elizabeth Paxton
- William Taylor & Joan ?
- Thomas Pitt of Bristol & Joayne ?
- Richard Biccombe of Somerset & Joan Beaumont
- Hugh Malet & Isabel Michell
- Robert Maye of Somerset
- John Godwyn of Wells
- Auditor John Sydley & Elizabeth Cotton
- Lord John Barrett Esq. & Phyllis Harpsfield
- Vice-Marshall Walter Culpeper & Anne Aucher
- Lawrence Hatfield & Alice Marshall
- Lord John Cranmer & Alice de Thorpe
- Sheriff James Wilsford & Elizabeth Bettenham
- Sir Henry Ferrers & Margaret Hexstall
- John Clerke & Lucy Moyle
- Grocer Edward Wood
- Lord Humfry Monke Esq. & Mary Champernoun
- John Sydenham the younger & Joan Popham
- Merchant John Reade & Margaret ?
- Robert Hamby & Anne Smythe
- Henry Fitzpen & Alice Peirse
- Lord Fulk Wodhull Esq. & Anne Newenham
- John Cope Esq. & Anne Hulcote
- Lord Thomas Wymbish Esq.
- John Heneage Esq. & Eleanor Preston
- Geoffrey Dormer
- Reverand Richard Stratford & Ffrancis Kyrkeby
- Richard Fowle of Kent & Margaret ?
- William Burden of Kent & Joan ?
- Reverand Richard Edwards & Helene Griffith
- Sir Henry Killigrew & Katherine Cooke
- Baron Edward Seymour & Elizabeth Champernon
- Lord Henry Brune Esq. & Elizabeth Martyn
- Lord John Hall Esq. & Dorothy Rogers
- 29702 Meller-Swinnerton
- Thomas Symcockes & Alice Sutton
- Mayor William Watkins of Wells
- Yeoman John Coward & Catherine Leigh
- Henry Hudson & Barbara ?
- Capt. Raleigh Croshaw of Jamestown
- Thomas Grave of Berkshire & Joan Blagrove
- Sir Henry Knevet & Anne Pickering
- Sir John Cary & Joyce Denny
- Mounger 538 Thomas Whitmell
- Mounger 536 Arrington-Majour
- Sir Robert Hussey & Anne Pudsaye
- Sir Henry Saville & Margaret Barkston
- Butcher Thomas Chevening of Kent
- Archdeacon John Taylor & Susan Rowland
- Thomas Pitt of Bristol
- Sir Thomas Seymour & Jane Berkeley
- Richard Bridger of Surrey & Margery Eliot
- Hugh Biccombe & Catherine Wilshaw
- Bell - New Sweden
- Mounger 272 Millsaps-Poplin
- Mounger 268 Arrington-Whitmell
- George Smythes of Somerset
- Robert Maye of Somerset & Dorothy Malet
- William Godwyn & Christian Burges
- High-Sheriff William Sedley Esq. & Elizabeth Greene
- Mounger 166 Hohn McPherson
- Mounger 154 Thomas McClammy
- Mounger 152 Heidelberg-Middleton
- Lord William Culpeper Esq. & Cicely Barrett
- John Pordage of Kent
- John Stede & Alice ?
- Early Gulf Coast History
- Cox - Bernado de Galvez
- French Louisiana
- Father Mas Loras
- Mounger 144 William Terrall
- Mounger 138 William Webster
- Thomas Cranmer & Agnes Hatfield
- Thomas Wilsforde & Elizabeth Culpepper
- James Clerke & Elizabeth Ferrers
- Mounger 136 Thomas Millsaps
- Mounger 134 Arrington-Haynie
- Anthony Moncke Esq. & Elizabeth Wood
- Nicholas Denys Esq. & Philippa Sidenham
- Robert Cary Esq. & Margaret Fulkeram
- Mounger 96 Jeffrey Robertson
- 84 Donald McSwain
- Chamberlain Richard Reade & Agnes Hamby
- Richard Pickering
- Lord George Hamby & Margaret Cutleer & Margaret Gr...
- John Royal & Lucitte ?
- ▼ April (406)