614. Col. John Pyle & 615. Sarah Baldwin
Search Amazon.com for Revolutionary War North Carolina
4/8/1723, John born at Kennett, Chester Co., PA; s/o 1228. Samuel Pyle & 1229. Sarah Pringle.
1726, Sarah born at Christiana Hundred, New Castle Co., DE; d/o 1230. John Baldwin & 1231. Sarah Cloud.
John educated as a doctor in England at Oxford.
6/4/1744 at Wilmington, New Castle Co., DE, John, a Quaker, married Sarah in the Holy Trinity Church [Old Swedes Church.]
11/18/1744, John and Sarah named in the will of her father.
1750, They lived in Hartford Co., MD.
~1759, they moved to Orange Co., NC. They traveled from MD to PA, then by sea to Edenton, then by foot and horseback to Orange Co. Once there, John and Sarah took up residence on 243 acres of land on the south branch of Cane Creek. John’s neighbor was 612. Thomas Lindley. John and Sarah attended the Cane Creek and Spring Creek MM.
Dr. Pyle and Thomas Lindley became related by the marriage of their children, and they also became compatriots in the Regulator Movement; organized by local North Carolinians to oppose the British oppression caused by the Stamp Act.
1767, John lived in Chatham Co., NC.
1775, John, while opposed to the Stamp Act, was a loyal subject of England and accepted a position as Colonel in the British militia of NC. He was instructed to raise an army and commission other officers. John commissioned his son, John Pyle Jr. as a Major, and son-in-law John Lindley as a Capt.
4/23/1776, Colonel Pyle and his son Major Pyle, “ in a recent commotion in Halifax, North Carolina,” were taken prisoner by the Americans and transported to Maryland. They were quickly released and returned to NC and took up command as before.
2/25/1781, Col. Pyle with 400 loyalists was at the Battle of Haw River, loosing against Light Horse Harry Lee: “Pyle though wounded with many cuts of the sabre, crawled into a pond of water, where he concealed himself and was afterwards rescued by his Tory friends.” [Lee was the father of CSA General Robert E Lee.]
9/14/1781, Col. Pyle was at the battle of Lindley’s Mill, near the home of his neighbor, Thomas Lindley. After the battle at the mill, Captain William O’Neal of the American Militia called upon Doctor Pyle to aid the American wounded. John did so with “great skill and faithfulness”. Captain O’Neal recommended John for a pardon, which was granted by then NC American Governor Burke.
John, now unable to ride a horse because of multiple injuries, became an Adjutant in the HQ of General Cornwallis. John asked Cornwallis for a promotion to Brigadier – which was denied.
Col. Pyle, as a staff member to Lord Cornwallis, met with General George Washington, and eventually changed sides. King George posted a 5000 pound bounty for the capture of John Pyle. (S) Stories in British history books paint Col. Pyle as a traitor.
1/1804, John, age 81, died in Alamance Co., NC.
Children of James and Ruth:
i. John Pyle, born 1746 in Chester Co., PA.
5/17/1770 in NC, John married Sarah Brashear.
1818, John died in KY.
ii. Nicholas Pyle, born 1748 in Chester Co., PA.
1771, Nicholas married Ann Black in Pittsboro, Chatham Co., NC.
1829, Nicholas died in Sangamon Co., IL.
iii. Sarah Pyle (307), born 11/10/1750 in Hartford Co., MD.
iv. William Pyle, born ~1752 in Chester Co., PA.
v. Edith Pyle, born ~1754 in Chester Co., PA.
Edith married James Steele.
vi. Moses Pyle, born 1756 in ?.
1846, Moses died.
vii. Samuel Pyle, born ~1758 in Orange Co., NC.
Samuel married Jane Black.
1801, Samuel died.
- ► 2020 (1361)
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (488)
- M: 2500
- M: 2498
- Obediah Bowen & Mary Clifton
- M: 2460
- M: 2456
- M: 2452
- M: 2450
- M: 2448
- Lord Edmund de Thorpe & Joan Bainard
- Sir Hugh de Hastings & Margaret de Everingham
- Sir Saier de Rochford & Joan Hillary
- Lord Richard de Roos & Matilda ?
- Collector Frederick de Tylney & Margery Lyne
- Earl John de Vere & Countess Maud de Badlesmere
- Baron John de Segrave & Countess Margaret Plantagenet
- Francois Elie dit Breton & Francoise Bidet
- Etienne Corriveau & Catherine Bureau
- Jean Francois Lemelin dit Tourangeau & Marie Margu...
- Adrien Isabelle & Catherine Poitevin
- Guillaume Baucher dit Morency & Marie Anne Paradis
- Robert Mathieu Choret & Sebastienne Veillon
- Barthélémy Gandin & Marthe Cognac
- Etienne Mesny & Catherine Laine
- Pierre Martin & Marie Buot
- Esprit Carbonneau & Marguerite Landry
- Antoine Leblanc dit Jolicoeur & Elisabeth Roy
- Louis Coulombe & Jeanne Boucault
- Michel Chartier & Catherine Chamberland
- Pierre Balan dit Lacombe & Renee Biret
- Louis Jinchereau & Marie Magnier & Michel Chartier
- Louis Gagne & Marie Gagnon
- Baron John de Moubray & Joan of Lancaster
- Lord Robert de Scales & Katherine de Ufford
- Admiral John Howard & Alice de Boys
- Lord Gilbert de Haukwode
- Sir William de Welles & Agnes ?
- Sir John de Coggeshall & Margaret de Staunton
- Sir James Tirrell & Margaret Heron
- Baron John le Strange & Ankaret le Boteler
- Sir Roger de Grey of Ruthin & Elizabeth de Hastings
- Sir John de Clifton & Elizabeth de Cromwell
- Sir John Knyvet & Eleanor Basset
- Pascal Mercier & Anne Cloutier
- Jean Rabouin & Marguerite Leclerc
- Moise Jacques Baudoin & Francoise Durand
- Pierre Blais & Anne Perrault
- Francois Robin & Marie Francoise Migneron
- Pierre Courteau & Marie Madeleine St Denis
- Jean Francois Langlois & Genevieve Rousseau
- Jacques Boulet & Marie Francoise Fournier
- Claude Lefebvre dit Boulanger & Marie Arcular
- Jean Fradet & Jeanne Helie le Breton
- Charles Allaire & Marie Bidet des Roussel
- Jean Brochu & Marie Francoise de Launay
- Sir Thomas de Goushill
- Sir William le English & Margaret le Brun
- Sir John de Harrington & Katherine Banastre
- Sir Thomas de Lathom & Joan Venables
- Lord William de Stanlegh & Alice de Mascy
- Sir William Pipard & Margery ?
- Lord Gerard de Lisle & Eleanor de Arundel
- Baron Thomas de Berkeley & Margaret de Mortimer
- Marie Madeleine Fontaine
- Nicolas LeRoy & Jeanne Lelievre
- Etienne Veau dit Sylvain & Marguerite Gagnon
- Nicolas Bouchard & Anne LeRoy
- Jean Cloutier & Louise Belanger
- Joseph David Lacroix & Marie Barthelemy Mailloux
- Michel Gautron dit La Rochelle & Marie Madeleine B...
- Pierre Trudel & Francoise LeFrancois
- Jacques Asselin & Marie Morisset
- Sir Philip Peyver
- Noel Lebrun dit Carrier & Anne Brochu
- Jean Pascal Mercier & Marie Madeleine Boucher
- Simon Bilodeau & Anne Turcot
- Jacques Gendron dit Lafontaine & Marie Anne Charla...
- Eustache Fortin dit Bellefontaine & Louise Cloutier
- Pierre Bernier & Marie Francoise Boulay
- Charles Langelier & Marie Francoise Destroismaison...
- Thomas Gerberge Esq. & Bretta Banyard
- Lord Simon de Hetherset & Cecily ?
- Lord Giles de Wachesham & Amice ?
- Hugh Berrye Esq. & Cecily Hengrave
- Walter de Paston & Cecily de Peche
- Sir Edmund de Dacre & Elizabeth ?
- Lord Henry de Atherton & Emma de Aintree
- Sir Robert de Nevill & Isabel de Byron
- Sir Thomas Clarell & Isabel Comyn
- John de Berden Esq. & Elizabeth Madet
- Sir Alexander de Mowbray
- Lord William Gascoigne & Agnes Franke
- Charles Fortin dit Bellefontaine & Marie Sainte Cl...
- Joseph Normand & Marie Choret
- Abraham Methot & Marie Madeleine Mezeray
- Jean Baptiste Bernier & Marie Genevieve Caron
- M: 1856
- Jean Gagnon & Marguerite Drouin
- Vincent Verdon & Genevieve Pelletier
- Jean Cote & Anne Martin
- Jacques Fortin & Catherine Miville
- ▼ July (240)