310. William Godwin Jr & 311. Martha Kearney [VA, NC]
~1715 William born in Isle of Wight Co., VA; s/o 620. William Godwin Sr & 621. Ann Pitt.
~1715 Martha born in VA; d/o 622. Barnaby Kearney & 623. Elizabeth Godwin.
5/1741, Peleg Rogers of Edgecombe Co to John Mitchener …. Wit: William Godwin Jr, … (S) Bertie Co., DB-F, P249.
5/4/1752, William wrote his last will & testament.
Bef. 5/1753 William died. Will Probated in May Court, 1753, Bertie Co., NC. (S) See Family notes.
• William’s will: “In The Name of God Amen. I William Godwin of the County of Bartie nd Province of No. Carolina Esq. Being Sick and Weak of Body But of Sound and Perfect ? memory Thanks be to God make and acknowledge this to be my last will and Testament as follows (viz.) Inpromis I Give to my Son Barnaby Godwin one Shilling Sterling to be paid by my Executor when he comes to lawfull age, Item. I Give to my Daughter Julian two Cows and calves, one feather Bed and furniture two breading Sows and Eight year old hogg, one Pewter Dish, one Pewter Bason, three Pewter Plates, one Iron Pott, and a Spining Wheel. Item. I give to my daughter Silvia Godwin two Cows & Calves, one feather Bed and furniture, two breading Sows and eight year old hogg, one one Pewter Dish, one Pewter Bason, three Pewter Plates, one Iron Pott. Item. . I give to my son Willis Godwin two Cows & Calves, one feather Bed and furniture, two breading Sows and eight year old hogg, one one Pewter Dish, one Pewter Bason, I also give to my Son Willis the first child (if any such should happen, that shall be Born of a Negro Girl Named Amy, which child is to be delivered to my afore sd. Son Willis at Eighteen Months Old and the the afore sd. Negro Amy to be the Absolute Property of my Daughter Courtney Godwin. I likewise give to my son Willis a Silver Seal, one pair of shoe and knee Buckles and one small gun. Item. I Give to my Son Kearney Godwin my plantation Whereon I now Live after the Death of his Mother Containing by estimation four Hundred acres of Land to him and his Heirs forever. Nevertheless if my Son Kearnery Shold DyeBefore he Comes to Lawfull Age or Without issue then my afore sd. Plantation to be Equally Divided Between my two Sons Willis and Josias, also I give to my Son Kearney my Silver Clasps for a ?. Item. I Give to my Son Josias Godwin a Negro Boy named Samson to him and his heirs forever, also one Gun that is now in the Hand of John Carter, also a pair of Silver Studs. Item. I Give to my daughter Courtney Godwin Negro Girl Called Amy and after the Child Given to my Son Willis is delivered then the sd. Girl Amy is to Belong to my Daughter Courtney and her Heirs forever. Item. I Give to my daughter Martha Godwin a Negro Boy named Will as hers and her heirs forever, also I Give to sd. Daughter martha a Gold Ring the Posey of which is Not all the World Our Love Shall Sever, The fear of God keeps True Love Ever. Item. I Desire that my Negro Boy Abner shall be sold by my Executor hereafter Named to Discharge my Debts hereafter becoming due. Item. I Lend to my Beloved Wife Martha Godwin tow negros Namely Dick and Mill During her Natural Life or Widowhood and also I lend to my Wife aforesd. All my Personal Estate undispersed of that of which is to Raise and Support my Several Children. Nevertheless after the Death of Marriage of my Wife Martha my Will is that my aforesd. Negros Dick and Moll Shall be Sold and the Money arising there from to be Equally Divided between my three children (Viz.) Julian, Silvia and Willis. I likewise desire that all the children (if any) that shall be born of my aforesd. Negro Moll Shall be sold as the other is to be my Executor and the Money Apply’d to the use as the other money is to be that is to my three Children aforesd. Julian, Silvia and Willis. My will is likewise that the Legacies by me given is to be Delivered by my Execitor hearafter Named to my Several Children as they come to lawfull Age or Marry. Also my Desire is that my Hearafter Named Executor is to Do and See Don and Completed Every Article and Articles of my Will. Also I do hearby Appoint my friend John Brichell of the aforesd. County of Bartie to be my Whole Executor of this my Last will and Testament hearby Disannuling all and Every Other Will by me made or Claimed to be made. In Witness where of I Have Hearunto Set my hand and given my Seal This fourth Day of May in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and fifty two. /s/ William Godwin “X”. (S) NC State Archives, Raleigh, 010, 1753, SS 878/199 SS/AR.
Children of William and Martha:
i. Barnaby Godwin, born ~1735 in Bertie County, NC.
[Named after his maternal grandfather.]
1786, Barnaby died in Edgecomb Co., NC.
ii. Julian Godwin, born ? in Bertie County, NC.
iii. Willis Godwin, born ? in Bertie County, NC.
iv. Courtney Godwin, born ? in Bertie County, NC.
v. Kearney Godwin, born ? in Bertie County, NC.
[Named for his maternal family line.]
1764, Hertford Co. Petition for John Merritt to sell 200 acres willed him by his grandfather, … Kerney Godwin.
1779 Tax list: District 4, Kearney Godwin.
1782 Tax list: District 4, Kearney Godwin.
1784 Tax list: Kearney Godwin.
1790, Kearney died in Hertford Co., NC.
Sarah Kearney Godwin, born 1770 in Raleigh, Bertie Co.
1789, she married Shadrack Early.
She married Rev. Noah Nichols.
Lavinia Godwin, born 1780 in NC.
She married William Nichols; died 8/2/1858.
1841, she died in Caldwell Co., KY; both buried in Old Stallins Cem.
vi. Josias Godwin, born ? in Bertie County, NC.
vi. Martha Godwin, born ? in Bertie County, NC.
viii. Silvia Godwin ( 155), born ~1746.
- ► 2020 (1361)
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (488)
- Cox 218 Stinson
- Cox 216 Scarborough
- Jean Baptiste Nicaise dit Boncoeur & Marie Catheri...
- Cox 192 Grelot-Ferchaut
- Jean Baptise Baudrau Dit Graveline II & Marie Cath...
- Bell 244 Alexander-Hodgson
- Cox 176 Bouzage-Touche
- Bell 234 Lamb
- Bond 608 King-Cary
- Pierre Paquet Jr & Marie Magdeleine Pany Baudreau ...
- Bell 232 Potts
- Bond 532 Fabin-Mulls
- Jacques Boulay & Francoise Fournier
- Bell 230 Phillips
- Bond 530 Hanby-Daniels
- Pierre Morin dit Bouche & Francoise Chaisson dit L...
- Bell 228 Bullock-Webb
- Bond 528 Batson-Satchell
- Louis Assailly dit Tranchemontagne & Marie Therese...
- Bell 226 Haskins
- Bond 518 Shaw-Lacy
- Luis Christian Ladner & Marie Barbe Bounal
- Bell 224 Stem
- Bond 515 Pritchett
- Cox 156 Bessellieu-Chiche
- Bell 182 Turner-Kimbrough
- Bond 468 Barfield-Rutland
- Cox 152 Purdy
- Bell 180 Kimbrough-Turner
- Bond 466 Roberts-Edwards
- Cox 146 Milligan
- Bell 178 Anthony-Jones
- Bond 464 Coward-Griffin
- Cox 134 Taliaferro-French
- Bell 176 Kidd
- Bond 416 Dickey
- Cox 132 Madison-Minor
- Bell 170 Hanna-Black
- Bond 318 Tyson-Potts
- Cox 128 Cox-Cocke
- Bell 168 Thomas-Black
- Bond 316 Hardee-Dulverton
- Cox 124 Davidson-Charlton
- Bell 162 Goodlet
- Bond 310 Godwin-Kearney
- Joseph Ladner dit Nicholas & Rosalie Fayard
- 160 John Loftis
- Bond 306 Cooke
- Louis Francois Baudin & Marie Louise Lorendine
- ▼ January (49)