3650. Etienne Racine & 3651. Marguerite Martin
5/11/1607, Etienne born in Fumichon, St Germain, Calvados, France; s/o 7300. Rene Racine & 7301. Marie Loysel.
Etienne was educated and learned to write.
1/4/1624, Marguerite baptized in Quebec, Canada, d/o 7302. Abraham Martin & 7303. Marguerite Langlois. Her godfather was Thierri Dedamy, godmother Marguerite Le Sage.
1/23/1628 in France, Etienne present at the wedding of his sister Marguerite.
7/24/1629, after Kirk captured Quebec, Marguerite went to France with her family.
8/10/1630 in France, Etienne witnessed a dowry receipt to his mother for his sister Marguerite.
3/23/1632, by the Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye, England ceded Canada back to France.
1633, Marguerite returned to Quebec with her family.
1634, Etienne arrived in Quebec, contracted for 3 years to Guillaume Hubou, 2nd husband of 15949. Marie Rollet.
10/22/1637, Etienne witnessed the marriage contract of Jean Nicolet & Marguerite Couillard.
11/16/1637, Etienne contracted to marry 13-year-old Marguerite. All parents named. Notary: Jean Guitet. Rene, father of Etienne, deceased. The signing took place at the home of Abraham Martin. Marguerite’s parents promised a dowery of 50 livres. Etienne pledged 200 livres.
5/22/1638 in Quebec, Etienne, age 31, married Marguerite, age 14. Attending: Oliver le Tardif, Guillaume Couillard. Etienne a wheel wright and ship carpenter. Marguerite’s parents gave the couple 100 livres in silver, utensils, and clothes valued at 64 livres. Nicolas Pivert & Marguerite Lesage, godparents of Marguerite, who had no children, gave the couple 100 livres in silver, clothing and utensils, totaling 524 livres in value.
10/21/1639, the minor children of Joseph Guillaume Hebert were placed under Etienne’s guardianship.
12/27/1639, Etienne present at the marriage signing of 3622. Noel Morin & 3623. Helene Desportes. [Etienne the guardian of Helen’s minor children.]
11/25/1643, Marguerite Lesage in her will gave Marguerite 50 livres for “the agreeable services which she had rendered her.” [A similar amount given to daughter Louise for “the affection that she bears for her.”]
1644, Etienne went to St. Marie-Hurons [Midland, Ontario] doing missionary work for the Jesuits. [42 Frenchmen participated in the mission. It had to be abandoned in 1649.]
Bef. 8/29/1645, Etienne returned. (S) Journal of the Jesuits.
1/23/1646 at Notre Dame de Quebec, Marguerite the godmother to 2043. Marie Marguerite Brassard.
9/23/1647, Etienne visited the cleared land of Jacques Maheust near Cap-aux-Diamants to assess damage done by pigs. Etienne signed the document report.
10/21/1647, Etienne sailed for La Rochelle, France with Robert Giffard to recruit new settlers.
9/20/1648, Etienne returned to Quebec.
3/27/1650, Olivier Tardiff granted Etienne property 710 meters wide by 7200 meters deep in future Ste Anne de Beaupre. [Etienne the “founder” of the city.] Etienne had hunting and fishing rights, had to build a house the first year, and had to fence in cleared land.
7/31/1650, Etienne contracted to lease a hairless cow and a 2-month old calf for 3 years from Nicolas Juchereau. Etienne had to provide each year half the manure produced and 25 pounds of butter.
7/21/1651, at about 10 am, Etienne’s house burned.
12/27/1655, Marguerite, d/o 3674. Robert Drouin & 3675. Marie Chapelier, baptized in the home of Etienne and Marguerite.
8/6/1658, Etienne, at his home, conditionally baptized Marie Madeleine, d/o Georges Pelletier.
2/2/1660 at Chateau Richer, Bishop Laval confirmed 5 family members: Marguerite Martin, Louise, Noel, Madeleine and Francois.
2/6/1661, Etienne and son-in-law Simon Guyon summoned to Bertrand Chesnaye’s home in Quebec. Bertrand agreed to sell Etienne and Simon a home in the Lower Town of Quebec in exchange for their building him a house on the Beaupre coast. [The exchange was never completed.]
11/13/1661, for daughter Madeleine’s dowry Etienne and Marguerite pledged 18 minots of wheat, 2 oxen, a cow, and various household articles with a total value of 526 livres
9/8/1664, Marguerite’s father died.
11/7/1664, the hiers of Abraham met and agreed that their mother Marguerite could continue living on the property and own the land as along as she paid the debts.
12/17/1665, Marguerite’s mother died.
1666 census of Beaupre; Etienne 59, Marguerite 41, children: Noel 22, Louise 25, Madeleine 20, Francois 16, Marguerite 14, Pierre 11, Jeanne 6, Etienne 3; Nicolas Delage 24 – domestic, engage. [Louise also listed in the home of her huband.]
1667 census of Beaupre; Etienne 61, Marguerite 42, children: Noel 24, Francois 18, Marguerite 15, Pierre 12, Marie 10, Jeanne 7, Etienne 5; 11 cattle, 30 arpents of cleared land.
6/1/1667, Etienne, as spokesman for the heirs of Abraham Martin and his wife Marguerite, decided to sell the family land, 32 arpents, for 1,200 livres to the Ursulines. [The heirs said they did not have the resources to maintain the property.]
9/12/1667, on the marriage of son Noel, Etienne and Marguerite provided a concession of which 4 arpents would be cleared without delay. They were also committed to feed and house the new couple for 2 years.
11/6/1667, in the marriage contract of daughter Marguerite, Etienne and Marguerite promised a cow, 2 oxen, 18 minots of wheat, 2 suits of clothes, other clothing, a mattress, untensils, …
1/11/1668, in the parlor of the Ursulines, Etienne and Marguerite gave the nuns a receipt for 120 livres.
12/18/1669, Father Paul Ragueneau, former missionary and a longtime friend of the Racines, then living in Paris, wrote a letter to Marguerite. “My dear daughter, … your dear husband … a great love for all your children, … I would willingly give my blood and my life for all of you … Continue as you have begun; Heaven will be for you. … I travelled the entire coast during that Christmas time. The thought of it is more agreeable to me than the magnificent palaces of the Seigneurs and the Princes which I often see in Paris.”
11/17/1671 in Chateau Richer, Etienne attended the wedding of 1812. Jean Francois Belanger & 1813. Marie Cloutier.
10/26/1676, on the marriage of son Francois, Etienne and Marguerite provided a concession of 2 arpents frontage, and also committed to feed and house the new couple for 2 years, and to build them a house and barn. In return, they would have to help erect the buildings and clear 4 arpents of land.
11/25/1679, Marguerite, age 55, “resident of Notre Dame de la Visitation”, died in Chateau Richer; buried the next day.
1681 census of Beaupre; Etienne 77 and a widower, son Pierre 27, son Etienne 20, daughter Jeanne 21; Etienne Simare 16 – domestic; 8 cattle,15 arpents under cultivation, 2 rifles.
7/1682, for the wedding of his son Pierre, Etienne promised 2 arpents and 2 perches frontage, and an additional arpent; to build a house with a fireplace of stone,, a barn, and to clear 4 arpents, and to feed and support the couple for 2 years.
11/2/1682, on the marriage of daughter Jeanne, Etienne promised a cow, 2 oxen, 18 minots of wheat, linen, utensils, a mattress, a blanket, …
10/4/1683, for the wedding of his son Etienne, Etienne promised 2 arpents and 2 perches frontage [expanding to 3 arpents by a league and a half beyond the river], next to his brother Noel; to build a house and barn, and to house the couple for 2 years. In return, son Etienne was to care for his father for the rest of his life.
11/11/1681 in Chateau Richer, Etienne attended the double weddings of 1864. Charles Fortin dit Bellefontaine & 1865. Marie Sainte Cloutier; and 2008. Pascal Mercier & 2009. Anne Cloutier.
4/30/1688, Eitenne had an inventory of the family property performed.
4/24/1689, Etienne, age 82, died in Ste Anne de Beaupre. Children Pierre, Noel and Francois attended.
(S) Our French-Canadian Ancestors, T.J. Laforest, V-XXVII.
Children of Etienne and Marguerite:
i. Louise Racine, born 9/2/1641 in Quebec, Canada.
11/10/1653 in Quebec, Louise, age 12, married Simon Guyon, s/o 7250. Jean Guyon & 7251. Marie Mathurine Robin. [Legal age was 14 for males and 12 for females.] [7 children.]
1/5/1675, Louise, age 34, died in Chateau Richer.
ii. Noel Racine, born 12/26/1643 in Quebec, Canada.
9/12/1667 in Chateau Richer, Noel married Marguerite, d/o Joseph Masse Gravel & Marguerite Tavernier. [10 children.]
3/4/1728, Noel, age 85, died in Ste Anne de Beaupre.
iii. Marie Madeleine Racine (1825), born 7/25/1646 in Quebec, Canada.
iv. Francois Racine, born 7/16/1649 in Quebec, Canada.
10/29/1676 in Ste Famille, I.O., Francois married Marie, d/o 2038. Guillaume Baucher dit Morency & 2039. Marie Anne Paradis. [12 children.]
2/23/1714, Francois, age 65, died in Ste Anne de Beaupre.
v. Marguerite Racine, born 3/8/1652 in Quebec, Canada.
11/6/1667 in Chateau Richer, Marguerite married Jean Gagnon, s/o Pierre Gagnon & Vincente Desvarieux. [13 children.]
12/17/1695, Marguerite, age 43, died in Chateau Richer.
vi. Pierre Racine, born 10/26/1654 in Chateau Richer, Canada.
7/6/1682 in Ste Famille, I.O., Pierre married Louise, d/o Claude Guyon & Catherine Colin. [9 children.]
3/14/1729, Pierre, age 75, died in Quebec.
vii. Marie Racine, born 1656 in Chateau Richer, Canada.
1676, Marie a nun in Hotel Dieu de Montreal.
1/30/1736, Marie died in Montreal.
viii. Jeanne Racine, born 5/22/1657 in Chateau Richer, Canada.
11/3/1682 in Chateau Richer, Jeanne married Jean Pare, s/o 3652. Robert Pare & 3653. Francoise Lehoux. [9 children.]
5/18/1703, Jeanne, age 46, died in Ste Anne de Beaupre.
vi. Etienne Racine, born 8/3/1662 in Chateau Richer, Canada.
10/25/1683 in Ste Famille, I.O., Etienne married Catherine, d/o Claude Guyon & Catherine Colin. [9 children.
1/5/1722, Etienne, age 60, died in Ste Anne de Beaupre.
- ► 2020 (1361)
- ► 2012 (26)
- ► 2011 (488)
- Lord Henry Fitz Hugh & Elizabeth Grey
- Sir William Bowet & Joan de Ufford
- Baron Thomas Dacre & Philippe Neville
- Sir John Holand & Margaret ?
- Sir William de Fenys & Elizabeth Batisford
- Lord Thomas Bardolf & Avice de Cromwell
- Lord William Phelip & Julian Erpingham
- Vincent Gaulin & Marie Bonnemer
- Antoine Crete & Jeanne LeGrand
- Henri Pinguet & Louise Lousche
- Jean Emard & Marie Bineau
- Antoine Destroismaisons & Jeanne Larcherer
- Eustache Robin & Madeleine Avrard
- Jacques Guyon & Marie Huet
- Loup Mercier & Jeanne Gaillard
- M: 10004
- M: 9992
- M: 9824
- Mathurin Landry & Damiane Desavis
- Rene Boileau & Joachine Serrant
- Louis Gagne & Marie Launay
- Claude Poulin & Jeanne Mercier
- Jacques Blais & Louise Penigaud
- Pierre St-Denis & Vivienne Bunel
- Honore Rousseau & Marie Boillerot
- Gilles Fournier & Noelle Gagnon
- Pierre Bilodeau & Jeanne Fleury
- Fiacre Fiebvre & Jacquette DuSol
- Sebastien Allaire & Perrine Fleurisson
- Jean Creste & Marguerite Gaulin
- Pierre Delaunay & Francoise Pinguet
- Louis Brochu & Renee Micheau
- Jacques Asselin & Cecile Olivier
- Antoine Caffier & Marie Caron
- Francois Lebrant & Madeleine Dubois Leroy
- Pierre Zacharie Cloutier & Marie Madeleine Emard
- Adrien Destroismaisons & Antoinette Leroux
- Julien Fortin & Marie Lavie
- Gervais le Normand & Leonarde Joinault
- Pierre Gareman dit LePicard & Madeleine Charlot
- Lord William de Wylughby & Lucy le Strange
- Lord John de Beaumont & Katherine de Everyngham
- Sir Robert de Grey of Rotherfield & Joan Bellew
- Lord William Deyncourt & Alice de Nevill
- Sir Richard Sergeaux & Philippe de Arundel
- Claude Grenier & Marie Catherine Huot
- Robert Drouin & Marie Dubois
- Jean Cauchon & Marguerite Cointerel
- Francois Pelletier & Simone Pichereau
- Mery Paquet & Vincente Beaumont
- Pierre Paradis & Marie Barbe Guyon dit Dion
- Jean Achon & Helene Renaud Regourde
- Philibert Tremblay & Jeanne Coignet
- Robert Caron & Marie Crevet
- Jacques Lehoux & Marie Meilleur
- Abraham Martin & Marguerite Langlois
- Rene Racine & Marie Loiselle
- Jean Giguere & Madeleine Madeleine Journel
- Pierre Roussin & Jeanne Nyuelle
- Jean Guyon & Marie Mathurine Robin
- Francois Belanger & Francoise Horlays
- Claude Morin & Jeanne Moreau
- Denis Cloutier & Renee Briere
- Jean Blanchard & Radegonde Lambert
- Philippe Muis d’Entremont & Madeleine Elie
- Pierre Laverdure & Priscilla Melanson
- Guillaume Trahan & Francoise Charbonneau
- Jehan Gaudet & Marie Daussy
- Jean Theriault & Perrine Rau
- Andre Bernard & Marie Andree Guyon
- Jacques Badeau & Anne Ardouin
- Francois Baugis & Denise Mercier
- Charles Lavallee & Jehanne Elie
- Noel Langlois & Francoise Grenier
- Earl Aubrey de Vere & Countess Alice Fitz Walter
- Lord John Lovel & Eleanor la Zouche
- Sir John de Dinham & Muriel de Courtenay
- Vincent Vachon & Sapience Rabeau
- Paul de Rainville & Roline Poete
- Louis Delaunay & Margaret Cazalede
- Jacques Maillou & Jeanne Suzanne Arnaud
- M: 5002
- M: 4996 Wood-Carter
- M: 4994
- M: 4992
- M: 4922
- M: 4914
- M: 4912
- Lord William Carminow & Margaret Kelly
- Baron Thomas Carew & Elizabeth Bonville
- M: 4088
- Antoine Brassard & Francoise Mery
- Jean Isabelle & Marie Adam
- Antoine Baucher & Marguerite Guilbert
- Guillaume Landry & Gabrielle Barre
- Antoine Carbonneau & Marguerite Petit
- Simon Chamberlan & Marie Boileau
- Louis Gagne & Marie Michel
- Julien Mercier & Marie Poulin
- Jean Leclerc & Perrette Bunel
- ▼ August (214)